Easy Garlic Turmeric Rice
This soft, fluffy and Easy Garlic Turmeric Rice is loaded with amazing flavors. It’s a one-pot middle eastern rice that comes together in 20 minutes!
Also known as yellow rice, this aromatic rice is flavored with butter, onion and comes together in a jiff! It makes a great side dish or a great main! Sprinkle it with coriander, toasted pine nuts and serve with chopped tomato and Greek yogurt. Seriously onto a winner for an easy weeknight dinner!
What is Easy Garlic Turmeric Rice?
This iconic rice, sometimes known as Yellow rice is so full of flavor. Let me break down the things I love about it!
- Basmati rice – this is the perfect rice for this dish. By the way it can be served a side dish or as a main. Basmati rice is a much longer rice than other varieties and somehow just suits this dish better. I’ve made it with brown rice, it just wasn’t the same.
- Turmeric – The turmeric in this recipe, is aromatic and earthy yet slightly sweet. When paired with the sautéed onions and garlic it makes this rice so tasty! Plus turmeric has amazing health benefits!
Ingredients You Need To Make Easy Garlic Turmeric Rice
Note: the whole recipe, including the ingredient quantities, can be found at the bottom of this page – just scroll down to the bottom, or click the ‘Jump to Recipe’ button at the top of this post.Jump to Recipe
- Butter – I used salted butter for extra flavor
- Olive oil – I used extra virgin olive oil
- Garlic – fresh is always best! You can finely chop it or slice it.
- Brown onion – White will work too.
- Turmeric – This is the star ingredient! It helps give this rice so much flavor and that lovely yellow color.
- Basmati rice – basmati rice is a long grain rice and is what works for this recipe. Brown rice will take 30 minutes to cook. But this recipe will also work with regular white rice and will cook in the same amount of time as basmati rice.
- Chicken stock – Good quality chicken stock is ideal here. But if you’re looking to be more economical you can use stock cubes dissolved in boiling water.
- Salt – I used fine salt.
- Toasted pine nuts – I love the addition of pine nuts on top of this rice. It helps add extra flavor and crunch. Gently and slowly toast your pine nuts in a skillet.
- Coriander – optional, but adds flavor. Of course, if you don’t like it, you can use chopped parsley instead!
How to make Easy Garlic Turmeric Rice!
- Combine butter and oil in saucepan
- Gently sauté onion and garlic
- Add turmeric and stir
- Add basmati rice and stir a couple minutes to toast
- Add stock and bring to a boil
- Cook for 12 minutes
- Turn heat off and allow to rest 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork
- Serve with toasted pine nuts and coriander
Tips and Tricks For Recipe Success!
- Rinse your rice – only if you bought it loose. If you bought it in a packet, no need to rinse it. To rinse it simply add to a fine mesh sieve and run under tap water while swirling around with your hand. When the water runs clear, it’s good to go.
- Sauté the veggies first – to soften them and help release even more flavor!
- Rest rice for 5-10 minutes – after it’s finished cooking. This helps fluff and soften the rice.
Gave this a go? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! Hungry for more? Join me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and TikTok for more great recipes!
If you loved this recipe, check these out!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @thescranline on Facebook and Instagram!
Easy Garlic Turmeric Rice
Serves 4 people
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice see notes
- 2 1/4 cups chicken stock see notes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts see notes
- 1/2 cup coriander chopped
Learn How To Make it! [VIDEO]
- Heat a large saucepan on medium heat. Add the butter and oil and mix until both are melted together. Add the garlic and onion and stir until fragrant and the onions soften slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Add the turmeric and mix until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the rice. Stir to coat in the turmeric, it will turn yellow. Stir for 3 minutes before pouring in the chicken stock and salt. It will bubble and steam. Turn down to low heat and cover with a lid. Allow to cook for 12 minutes. Turn the heat off and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Do not take the lid off at any point. The steam will help cook the last bit of the rice in the rest period. Pour into a serving plate, sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and coriander or parsley.
This is one of my all time favorite recipe and I’m so excited for you to try it and see how delicious and easy to make it is!