Hey guys! My Name is Nick Makrides. I live in Melbourne Australia with my husband and our little girl (my harshest food critic).
You’ve landed on my spot on the internet where you can find all of my recipes. My love of food started as a child. I was raised by a Greek Yiayia (grandma) and my mum who cooked up delicious storms. My obsession with cooking and learning about food started then and continues today with The Scran Line: a passion project that allows me to share my biggest passions in life:
FAMILY + FOOD + DESIGN!
What the heck is a SCRAN tho?
Well, I was very briefly (and I can’t stress that enough) in the Royal Australian Navy. I went in as a navy cook and lasted 7 weeks at recruit school before I discharged myself. It just wasn’t for me. The RAN has it’s own language that they use for certain words. The hall where you eat food is called the Mess hall. Which is ironic because it’s the cleanest place I’ve ever been. Scran translates to food. So when you’d stand in line for food, you’d stand in the ‘scran’ line.
In 2012 I decided to start The Scran Line as a passion project as a way for me to express my creativity and love of baking. Today, I’m lucky enough to be able to call this my job. I spend my week developing recipes, testing them so that they work and photographing them (my favorite part). Speaking of recipes!
Where To Start!
Ok, so I have loads of dessert recipes on here that I love and you guys love, but it’s difficult to pinpoint just one favorite recipe so I’m going to list them for you and I highly recommend you check them out!
- Sponge Kisses – little pillowy sponges with Chantilly Cream and raspberry jam!
- Red velvet Cupcakes – so soft and perfectly paired with fluffy, tangy cream cheese frosting
- French Chocolate Eclairs – deceivingly easy to make! These are crispy on the outside, filled with cream and topped with my glossy Chocolate Sauce. Plus I’ve included loads of tips and tricks in my post so you can make them exactly perfect!
Weeknight Recipes On Heavy Rotation In Our House!
- Soft Geek pita – we have this with everything! Chicken Gyros, on the side of our Grilled Chicken or just on it’s own!
- Healthy Chicken Caesar Salad – so freaking easy to make. I go the extra mile and make my own Focaccia Croutons. But the tangy yogurt sauce is the star of the show! You can simplify it or adjust it to your taste and still get a satisfyingly tasty salad.
- Chicken Burgers – I typically make these with Turkish rolls that I toast. But they go well with classic soft Brioche buns! I make these weekly!
- Vanilla Slice – Soft and creamy vanilla filling sandwiched between buttery flaky pastry. So simple, but sinfully indulgent!
- Greek Slow Roasted Lamb – slow roasting your lamb using these delicious Greek spices is a fairly hands off experience. The oven does all the work for you!
- Chocolate Cupcakes – one of the most viewed recipes on the site, this cupcake is rich, moist and topped with ultra-indulgent Chocolate Buttercream!
I hope you get to check those recipes out and give them a try! If you’d like to follow my baking adventures during the week follow me on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. If you’d like to say hi or have a question about a recipe, leave a comment on the site or DM me on Instagram! Facebook is a fun place for us to have a chat too!