Grilled Chicken Burgers
These seriously juicy Grilled Chicken Burgers are made with simple ingredients that come together to make a flavorful, easy weeknight dinner!
I love how tasty, quick, and light these are. Also, you can easily make them as a great weeknight meal or as a special Friday night with my Crispy Smashed Baked Potatoes. And they’re so versatile too! I use some pretty basic spices in the chicken patties, but you can add your favourite. Sauces? I’ve got you covered! I like using Whole Egg Mayonnaise, but these pair well with Special Burger Sauce Recipe.
Whichever way you make them, the important thing is you can make them tonight, using low cost ingredients. Scale them for an army or make them for one! Either way, they’re so darn delicious and that’s why we make them weekly in our house.
Why I make these every single week!
I literally make these every week. They’re incredibly versatile and easy to put together making them a great weeknight meal or even a Friday night option!
- Easy to make – these use simple ingredients you already have
- Quick! – perfect for people who are time poor. You literally mix and cook the burger patties, toast the bread and slice the lettuce. That’s it. Then you layer them and 20 minutes later you have an amazing homemade burger that’s really juicy. Speaking of juicy!
- They’re really tasty and juicy! – using my ooey gooey steam method, you get juicy burgers with perfectly melty cheese. More on that below.
- Crowd pleaser – You can make these for yourself, for two or easily scale them up to make for a crowd. You could even make mini versions using mini burger buns.
- Healthy – these are way way healthier than take away. You’re using fresh ingredients, minimal fat to cook them and they’re satisfying and filling meaning you’re not loading yourself up on sugary fast food that makes you hungry 20 minutes later.
- Cheap – these aren’t expensive to make. You most likely already have some of the ingredients already and the rest of the ingredients are affordable making these a great low cost weeknight or special occasion meal!
The Ooey Gooey Melty Cheese Method.
Here’s my secret to really good burgers. It’s in the cheese! Here’s my tips!
Which cheese to use
For this method you want to use pre-sliced cheese. It’s the easiest way to get perfectly gooey cheese using this method.
How to do it
Cook the burger patties on one side, then flip them over to cook on the other side. Add the cheese on top as soon as you flip them. Cook on medium high for a couple minutes then add about 3 tbsp cold water in the middle of the frypan and place the lid on top straight away.
The steam created from the water gets trapped in the frypan when you put the lid on. It helps cook the chicken right through, keeps it juicy, but also helps steam the cheese, melting it without drying it out! It’s really a win win and I use this method for pretty much any situation where I need to melt cheese for a burger.
Ingredients You Need To Make Grilled Chicken Burgers
Note: the whole recipe, including the ingredient quantities, can be found at the bottom of this page – just scroll down to the bottom, or click the ‘Jump to Recipe’ button at the top of this post.
- Chicken mince – use good quality mince and buy from a butcher if you can. Mince that is 95% lean works best. Anything leaner than that and your meatballs will be dry. Don’t stress about it too much though, use what you can get. Also, this recipe works amazingly with beef, pork, lamb, and turkey mince in place of chicken too!
- Egg – I used a large egg.
- Olive oil – adding olive oil helps keep the chicken nice and juicy once it’s cooked.
- Panko – panko breadcrumbs are a Japanese breadcrumb that are larger and crispier than regular breadcrumbs. You can use fine breadcrumbs as well.
- Parmesan cheese – this is optional, but it adds so much flavor. I would recommend grating your own cheese at home as store bought cheese has additives to stop it sticking together. Use a fine grater to grate the cheese if you’re doing it at home. If you leave the cheese, out use 1 tsp of salt instead of 1/2 tsp.
- Garlic powder – or minced garlic.
- Onion powder – or 1/2 grated onion.
- Salt – I used fine salt.
- Italian herb mix – or oregano. You can also use 1 tsp dried or freshly chopped dill.
- Burger buns – I don’t like brioche buns for burgers. They’re too soft and too rich. I like using either crispy or chewy Turkish buns. You can even use long rolls for this recipe. Just shape your chicken patties into long shapes.
- Mayonnaise – I used whole egg mayo, you can use flavored mayo if you like too. Burger Sauce goes nicely on these as well. I have a great recipe for Easy Home Made Whole Egg Mayonnaise recipe here, and a tasty Burger Sauce recipe here.
- Pickles – I like using sweet pickles. The ones I buy are called Bread and Butter Pickles.
- Lettuce – use any type of greens you like. I use cos lettuce, iceberg will work, chopped baby spinach, rocket or even kale will work too. I like thinly slicing my lettuce because I like the way it looks and the mouthfeel when you’re eating it.
- Burger cheese – Cheddar or mozzarella will work. I would recommend using pre-sliced cheese. Burger cheese is designed to be tasty and stretchy. Using the steam method for the cheese helps you get a nice gooey melty cheesy.
How to make Grilled Chicken Burgers!
- Halve and toast your burger buns.
- Very thinly slice your lettuce.
- Add all your chicken patty ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Mix together until well combined.
- Divide into 4 portions and flatten into burger patties slightly larger than your burger buns.
- Grill your chicken in a frypan, flip over when golden and add the cheese. Add a little water in the frypan and place the lid on top for a couple minutes until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through.
How To Layer A Burger
- Add mayo.
- Then your pickles.
- Add the chicken patty with melty cheese.
- Finish with thinly sliced lettuce.
- Top burger bun and a little cheeky pickle on top with a burger toothpick to hold it all together.
Tips and Tricks For Recipe Success!
- Measure out using kitchen scales – measuring ingredients out by weight and not cups is the best way to get consistent results every time!
- Make it your own! Use the spices, sauce and bun type that suits your taste.
- Make sure your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 73C / 165F. If you’re not confident that your chicken is cooked through, it should look cooked (white) and the juices should run clear.
- Turn it into a salad! Skip the carbs and chop up the chicken patties to toss into a Crispy Green Salad.
Frequently Asked Questions about Grilled Chicken Burgers
How do I store this?
These chicken burgers are best eaten the day they’re made but you can wrap them up tightly in plastic wrap and store them in the fridge for up two days.
Can I use other types of mince?
Yes! Ground beef, turkey, pork or lamb will work for these!
More burger recipes!
ULTIMATE Grilled Cheese – not a burger but sandwich worth trying!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @thescranline on Facebook and Instagram!
Grilled Chicken Burgers
- 1 lbs. (500 g) chicken mince (see notes)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup (55 g) panko breadcrumbs (see notes)
- 1/2 cup (50 g) parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Italian herb mix or 1 tsp oregano
- 4 large burger buns see notes
- 4 tbsp whole egg mayonnaise
- 12 sweet pickle slices
- 1 cup cos lettuce thinly sliced
- 4 slices burger cheese
- Preheat a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Add all of the ingredients into a medium sized mixing bowl and mix using clean hands. Divide the mixture into 4 and roll into patties that are slightly larger than your burger buns. Sometimes I use long rolls and shape my patties into long shapes.
- Drizzle your skillet with some olive oil or butter and add your chicken patties. Grill for 4-5 minutes. Then flip over and place cheese on top. Cover skillet with a lid and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Take the lid off and add 1 a couple tbsp of water. Cover with lid immediately and allow to steam for 1 minute. It will make your burger extra juicy and melt the cheese.
- Add mayonnaise on the bottom half of each toasted burger bun followed by 4 pickles on each bun. Then add lettuce and finish with the chicken patty. Sandwich with the top burger bun. Serve immediately.