Crispy Smashed Baked Potatoes
These Crispy Smashed Baked Potatoes are the ultimate crunch flavor side for pretty much any meal. They even make a delicious snack. The secret is boiling the potatoes until they’re tender and then finishing off in a hot oven. It gives you this ultra crispy exterior that frankly is better than most fries I’ve ever had.
You can flavor these with any of your favorite spices. I’ve gone with a simple garlic and onion combo with plenty of sea salt. Plus, the olive oil provides plenty of delicious flavor too. Honestly, if a crispy, salty, flavorful potato isn’t enough to entice you to try this really easy recipe, I don’t know what will!
These Crispy Smashed Baked Potatoes are the perfect side!
I absolutely love this recipe. I make it as a side to our chicken burgers which makes them even more delicious! Here’s some other reasons to love them!
- They go with everything! These crispy smashed potatoes go with pretty much everything as a side dish and make a tasty snack too!
- Crispy texture – they have an ultra-satisfying crunchy exterior with a nice fluffy inside.
- So versatile! – you can season these with pretty much anything you like. I stuck with the basics, but they go well with something spicy, a lemon pepper seasoning, I’ve even seasoned them with everything bagel seasoning! Here’s some more suggestions below!
Flavor combo suggestions!
The beauty of this recipe is that you can flavor it with anything you like! Here’s some suggestions!
- Garlic and herb – garlic powder, dried thyme and grated parmesan.
- Spicy paprika – smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and a pinch of cumin for a smoky kick!
- Lemon and rosemary – drizzle baked potatoes with fresh lemon juice, olive oil and some chopped rosemary.
- Parmesan and truffle oil – brush with some truffle oil and sprinkle with grated parmesan before baking for an indulging flavor.
- Crispy bacon cheddar – top the smashed potatoes with crispy bacon bits and some grated cheddar for the last 5 minutes of baking!
Ingredients You Need To Make Smashed Potatoes
Note: the whole recipe, including the ingredient quantities, can be found at the bottom of this page – just scroll down to the bottom, or click the ‘Jump to Recipe’ button at the top of this post.
- Potatoes – this recipe will work with pretty much any potato! I used small starchy potatoes which have a fluffier inside, but waxy potatoes will give you a smoother inside. You can use different sized potatoes too. Smaller ones will come out crisper, larger ones will have more of a fluffy inside.
- Olive oil – I used extra-virgin olive oil. Vegetable oil will also work.
- Garlic powder – use this instead of fresh garlic which burns in the oven.
- Onion powder
- Parsley – any type will work.
How to make Smashed Potatoes!
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and cook for a total of 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted goes through with some resistance.
- Place on a baking tray and drizzle with oil. Give them a shuffle to coat.
- Use a potato masher, fork or the bottom of a well oiled measuring cup to smash the potatoes.
- Drizzle with more oil and season. Bake until golden and crispy! Finish with some parsley before serving.
Tips and Tricks For Recipe Success!
- Measure out using kitchen scales – measuring ingredients out by weight and not cups is the best way to get consistent results every time!
- If you don’t have a potato masher to smash your potatoes, use a fork or even the bottom of a flat bottomed glass or measuring cup! Just be sure to oil them before using to avoid sticking!
- Flavor these with anything you like! I love a classic garlic and onion powder combo with plenty of salt but I’ve even flavored these with Everything Bagel mix!
Frequently Asked Questions about RECIPE
Can I use any type of potato?
Yes, but waxy potatoes like red or Yukon gold are best. Also, you’ll get crispier potatoes if you use small potatoes and fluffier insides if you use larger potatoes.
How do I make sure my potatoes are crispy?
Drizzle with a generous amount of oil and bake in a high heat oven.
Can I make these ahead of time?
Yes! You can pre-boil them in advance and then finish them in the oven later which means they’re a no-fuss holiday season side!
How do I store them?
These will stay crispy for a couple hours after baked but baked potatoes can be stored in an airtight container and kept in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Heat up in the oven for that crisp to come back! They come out even crispier with a second bake!
More tasty sides!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @thescranline on Facebook and Instagram!
Crispy Smashed Baked Potatoes
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- 2.2 lbs (1 kg) small potatoes (see notes)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Fresh parsley chopped to sprinkle
- Sea salt to sprinkle and season
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 200C/ 390F (220C/430F for no fan). Cover two half sheet baking trays with about 2 tbsp of olive oil each and spread around evenly. Set aside.
- If they need it, wash your potatoes to make sure there’s no dirt on the skin. Use a kitchen brush if you need to. Add the potatoes to a large pot and fill the pot with water, covering the potatoes by about 1 inch. Cover the pot with a lid and bring to a boil. Cook for about 10-15 minutes (if using small potatoes) and poke with a knife to test if they’re cooked all the way through. The knife should go through easily with some resistance.
- Once cooked, carefully strain the potatoes and transfer to two large, well oiled baking trays. Use a fork or potato masher to smash the potatoes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before sprinkling with garlic powder, onion powder and some extra salt. Drizzle the potatoes with more oil, about 2-3 tbsp on each tray. Bake for 20 minutes, take out of the oven and use a spatula to carefully flip over. Bake for a further 20-30 minutes or until deeply golden and crispy. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.