Honey Mustard Chicken Burgers
We make these succulent Honey Mustard Chicken Burgers Recipe weekly! Buttery Burger buns, juicy chicken, all put together with simple ingredients in 30 minutes!
If you’re tired of the same old burger, then spice things up with these deliciously tangy and flavorful Honey Mustard Chicken Burgers. They’re a healthier alternative to beef burgers. The tangy and sweet honey mustard sauce gives them a unique twist and it takes seconds to whip up. So fire up the grill and let’s get stuck into the recipe!
Table of Contents
Sweet and Tangy with every bite!
Here’s 4 things I really love about this recipe and why I make it all the time!
- Juicy and tasty! – These burgers are bursting with a range of simple but delicious flavors that will leave your taste buds begging for more.
- Make it your own! – Whether you’re hosting a backyard BBQ or looking for a quick weeknight dinner idea, these really hit the flavor spot in a big way.
- Easy to make – these can literally come together in about 20 minutes which makes them a low effort dinner or lunch idea.
- Make them lean! By using lean ground chicken, or thinly sliced chicken breast.
Super-secret cheese melty trick!
At the 2-minute mark of your flipped burger patties add the cheese on top of each patty. Add 1 tbsp of cold water to the frypan and cover with a lid. The steam will perfectly melt your cheese and make it super oozy.
Ingredients You Need To Make Honey Mustard Chicken Burgers
Note: the whole recipe, including the ingredient quantities, can be found at the bottom of this page – just scroll down to the bottom, or click the ‘Jump to Recipe’ button at the top of this post.Jump to Recipe
- Chicken Mince – opt in for good quality chicken mince for the best flavor.
- Panko breadcrumbs – you can use regular breadcrumbs if you wish.
- Parmesan – I always use freshly grated parmesan cheese because it tastes better.
- Egg – I used a large egg.
- Yellow mustard – I used English mustard.
- Honey – this helps add sweetness to the chicken burger.
- Garlic powder – you can use freshly minced garlic if you want a stronger flavor.
- Onion powder – surprisingly adds a little sweetness to the burgers.
- Salt – I used fine salt.
- Pepper – I used white pepper.
- Thyme – you can use dried oregano instead.
- Olive oil – I used this to grill the burgers. You can use canola or vegetable oil instead.
- Whole egg mayonnaise – I have a great recipe for it here!
- Brioche Buns – I rarely make these with brioche buns, I just wanted to use them for the photos because they look more classic. If you’re after a heartier alternative, use Turkish bread. Looks less pretty, but in my opinion, cheaper and more satisfying as a toasted bread.
- Swiss cheese – you can use your favorite cheese slices.
- Pickles – I love the sweetness these provide!
- Lettuce leaves – I used cos lettuce.
- Red onion – thinly slice your red onion.
How to make Honey Mustard Chicken Burgers!
- Add all the ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix together and it’s done!
- Add all the ground chicken ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix using clean hands.
- Shape into 4 burger patties.
- Drizzle a hot skillet with oil.
- Cook for 4 minutes and then turn over.
- Add cheese on top.
- Cover with lid and allow to melt.
- Once melted, take off the heat.
- Toast the burger buns on both sides.
- Add honey mustard sauce.
- Then the pickles.
- Lettuce leaf.
- Add the chicken on top.
- Followed by the red onion slices.
- Add some honey mustard on the top bun.
- Then sandwich it altogether.
Tips and Tricks For Recipe Success!
- Safe internal temperature – Use a thermometer to check that the internal temperature of your ground chicken burgers has reached 75C / 165F.
- Choose lean ground chicken for a leaner burger.
- Form the chicken patties slightly bigger than your burger buns.
- Chicken breast alternative – this recipe can be made using thinly sliced chicken breast as well. Just use the seasoning in the mince to season the chicken an hour ahead of time.
- Prep your ingredients ahead of time to make whipping these burgers up much faster.
- Toast the burger buns just before the chicken patties are done.
- Make the honey mustard sauce ahead of time to make putting these together even faster.
Frequently Asked Questions about Honey Mustard Chicken Burgers
Can you make this on a bbq?
Yes! You can totally grill this outdoors and serve them up to a crowd! Just make sure you coat your grill well with oil so they don’t stick.
How long do I cook the chicken for?
Cook the chicken burgers on each side for 4-5 minutes or until the internal temperature has reached 75C / 165F.
How do I stop chicken burgers from sticking to a bbq grill?
Make sure your grill is well oiled. I use olive oil but vegetable or canola oil.
Can I make chicken burgers ahead of time?
You can mix the ground chicken ingredients for up to a day ahead and flatten them out. Store them in the fridge, covered in plastic wrap.
How long does the honey mustard sauce last?
The sauce will last for up to a week in the fridge.
What other sauces can I use with this burger?
My favorite TASTY chicken recipes!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @thescranline on Facebook and Instagram!
Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken Burgers
- 1 lbs (500 g) chicken mince (see notes)
- 1/2 cup (60 g) panko breadcrumbs (see notes)
- 1/2 cup (45 g) grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp honey optional
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper to taste n
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp olive or canola oil
Honey Mustard Sauce
- 1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp (90 g) honey
- 4 tsp English mustard
- 4 brioche burger buns (see notes)
- 4 slices Swiss cheese (see notes)
- 12 sweet pickle slices drained
- 4 cos lettuce leaves thinly sliced or whole
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
Grilled Chicken Burgers
- Toast your burger buns under a hot grill until golden. I toast them on both sides. Set aside to cool.
- Heat up a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Add all your burger ingredients to a large bowl and mix using clean hands until combined. Divide into 4 balls and squash using the palm of your hands to be slightly bigger than your burger buns. They’ll shrink as they cook.
- Add the oil to your frypan and add the burger patties. Cook on each side until golden and the internal temperature has reached 75C / 165F, about 4-5 minutes.
Super-secret cheese melty trick!
- At the 2-minute mark of your flipped burger patties add the cheese on top of each patty. Add 1 tbsp of cold water to the frypan and cover with a lid. The steam will perfectly melt your cheese and make it super oozy.
- Add the mayonnaise on top of the bottom burger bun and spread evenly. Add 4 pickles on top followed by the chicken burger. Then add the lettuce, red onion and add BBQ sauce to the top burger buns. Sandwich and serve hot!