Easy Chocolate Fudge Cake
If you’re looking for the ultimate chocolate hit, you can’t go past this easy Chocolate Fudge Cake! An incredibly MOIST and fluffy cake with chocolate fudge frosting that comes together to create the ultimate chocolate lovers treat! The secret ingredient to make amazing fudge cake? Boiling water with a hint of coffee! Read on to see what the incredible results are.
If you’re anything like me, a chocolate lover who needs their next hit but wants something simple that’s made in one bowl, then this is the perfect recipe for you! The only thing you need to figure out is if you want to share this cake or keep it for yourself!
Looking for more chocolate recipes? Check out my Chocolate Cheesecake, Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins or my Easy Chocolate Cake which is my go to chocolate cake recipe (other than this one of course)!
What is Chocolate Fudge Cake?
Ok, so there’s two main things I want you to know about this gloriously chocolate cake. The texture and flavor. Let’s get into it!
- Texture – what I love about this cake is how perfectly the silky-smooth ganache pairs with the fluffy cake. This cake is moist, light and overall fudgy. The frosting is rich, smooth and fudgy.
- Flavor – the cake is rich in chocolate flavor. That’s partly because of the addition of boiling water mixed with coffee which both help intensify the flavor, but also because of the use of cocoa powder and melted chocolate. The fudgy frosting is sweet which pairs so well with the cake which is not overly sweet!
Please Note: the whole recipe, including the ingredient quantities, can be found at the bottom of this page – just scroll down to the bottom, or click the ‘Jump to Recipe’ button at the top of this post. Let’s continue!
Secret to ULTIMATE Fudge Cake?
The boiling water! Adding boiling water to the cake batter as the last step results in an ultra-moist and fluffy cake!
- It helps give the cake a smooth, soft and fluffy texture.
- It helps intensify the chocolate flavor. Boiling water is usually added when cocoa powder or melted chocolate is added to a cake and helps intensify chocolate flavor.
- The addition of boiling water adds moisture to the cake which helps it last longer and stay moist for longer.
- Lastly, it reacts with the baking powder to help give it the ultimate boost of air in the oven for a fluffy cake!
What’s the difference between Fudge Cake and Mud Cake?
Mud cake is an ultra-dense cake that looks super smooth when sliced. Some people don’t like it’s texture because it’s well… muddy. I really love it. Fudge cake is everything you love about mud cake but fluffier. It’s moist, rich and chocolatey!
Let’s talk Chocolate Fudge Frosting!
The recipe for my Chocolate Fudge Frosting is very similar to my Ganache frosting. It relies on really good quality ingredients to be ultra-indulgent!
- Make sure you use really good quality cooking chocolate (not to be confused with eating chocolate). Dark is best so that it doesn’t make the frosting overly sweet.
- The butter makes the frosting rich, silky and smooth.
- The addition of brown sugar deepens the flavor and ads a little sweetness.
- It all comes together to create something that perfectly pairs with the fluffy fudge cake! Alternatively, this cake also pairs well with my chocolate buttercream!
Ingredients You Need To Make this Fudge Cake?
Dark chocolate – You want to make sure you’re using cooking chocolate for this recipe. Both in the batter and frosting. You don’t want to use regular chocolate that’s for eating.
Unsalted butter – I used unsalted but if you use salted butter just skip adding the salt.
Vegetable oil – alternatively you can use sunflower oil.
Caster sugar – also known as superfine sugar.
Eggs – I used large eggs.
Cocoa powder – You want to use unsweetened cocoa powder here as it gives the cake a deep chocolate flavor.
All-purpose flour -also known as plain flour. No need for cake flour in this recipe.
Baking powder – this helps give the cake it’s light and airy texture.
Instant coffee powder – this helps elevate the chocolate flavor and is completely optional.
Boiling water – the boiling water in this recipe helps elevate the chocolate flavor!
How to make Easy Chocolate Fudge Cake!
This is such an easy chocolate cake recipe that comes together in one-bowl!
Chocolate Fudge Cake
- Simply melt the chocolate and butter together.
- Then add the dry ingredients.
- Add the eggs and whisk
- Add the boiling water mixed with coffee and mix.
- Bake and allow to cool.
How to Make PERFECT Chocolate Fudge Frosting!
- Add all the ingredients into a heat proof bowl and microwave until melted and combined.
- Then allow to cool at room temperature before softening in the microwave to spreading consistency.
- Place your first layer of cake on of a serving plate and spread frosting on top using an offset spatula
- Add your second layer of cake and cover the cake in frosting
- Pipe frosting on top using a Wilton 1M piping tip and serve! I just did it randomly so it looks like swirls of dancing ganache!
Tips and Tricks For Recipe Success!
- Using a cake turn table like this one to decorate the cake makes this a really easy process!
- Spray the sides and bottom of your cake tin and line the bottom with baking paper for an easy release after baking.
- Using an offset spatula helps make putting this cake together and decorating a much easier process, but if you don’t have one handy, you can literally just use a tablespoon!
- Using room temperature ingredients is really important to getting the very best results! Leave your eggs and butter out the day before making the cake.
- When mixing the dry ingredients into the batter, take care not to overmix the batter. Mix just until there are no dry ingredients showing.
- This batter is really thin which is normal! It’ feels almost impossible that it will result in a cake but it does!
Frequently Asked Questions about Fudge Cake
What does this fudge cake taste like?
This cake isn’t shy on flavor! It has a huge hit of chocolate with every forkful. And the texture is amazing! It’s fluffy, moist and pairs perfectly with the fudgy chocolate ganache frosting!
How do I store this?
This cake can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week in the fridge.
Can I halve the recipe?
Yep! You can halve this recipe to make in just one 8” cake tin, by simply halving the ingredients listed below.
Why is there coffee in this cake?
The addition of coffee in this cake helps elevate and intensify the chocolate flavor. It’s not enough to make the cake taste like coffee. If you don’t have instant coffee powder handy, you can use 1 cup of coffee from your coffee machine or plunger.
Gave this a go? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! Hungry for more? Join me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and TikTok for more great recipes!
Still got chocolate cravings? Check these out!
Easy Chocolate Fudge Cake
Chocolate Fudge Cake
- 1 cup (200g) dark chocolate (see notes)
- 2/3 cup (150g) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (90ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (412g) caster sugar (see notes)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup (40g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) boiling water
- 1 tbsp instant coffee powder optional
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 3 cups (600g) dark chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) heavy cream warm
- 1/3 cup (83g) unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
Chocolate Fudge Cake
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 130C / 265F. Spray two 20cm / 8-inch cake tins with oil and line the bottom with baking paper. Set aside.
- Add the dark chocolate and butter to a heatproof bowl and microwave for 30 seconds at a time, string each time until melted and smooth. Add the oil, vanilla extract and caster sugar and mix using a spatula until combined. Add the eggs and whisk until well combined.
- Next, run the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt through a sift over the chocolate mixture. Use a spatula to mix through until no dry ingredient are showing.
- To a jug, add the boiling water and instant coffee powder. Stir to combine. Add to the cake batter and mix using a whisk.
- Split the batter between the two baking tins and place in the middle rack of your oven. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
Chocolate Fudge Cake
- Add all of the ingredients into a large heatproof bowl and microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring each time until melted and well combined. Allow to cool at room temperature. Once set, microwave for 10 seconds at a time, stirring with a spatula until it becomes soft enough to spread.
- To put the cake together, carefully run a knife around the cake tin to release the cake from the tin. Place the first layer on a serving plate. I used a cake turn table to decorate the cake which makes decorating so much easier. Add 1/4 of the frosting on top of the cake and use a spatula to spread evenly. Then add the next layer of cake and cover the cake in frosting keeping some aside to decorate on top, about 1/4 of the frosting. Use a spatula to spread the frosting on the sides and top of the cake. Get it as even as you can. We’re not trying to win award here. Then use a piping bag fitted with a Wilton 1M piping tip to frost random swirls on top of the cake.