Crispy Chicken Burgers
These Crispy Chicken Burgers are the real deal. I have to start off by saying, I spent 2 weeks researching and testing out chicken burgers for this recipe. I’m glad to say that my crispy chicken burgers deliver. Crispy and easy to make buttermilk chicken all sandwiched between two brioche buns, refreshing lettuce, bbq sauce, cheese and pickles. The beauty is though, you can literally dress these up however you like. The star of the show is that crispy chicken!
Nicks favorite thing…
I mean, what’s not to love about a crispy chicken burger? Chicken, check! Crispy, check! I’d have to say for me, it’s a tough choice between the crispy chicken and the burger bun. I love a good soft but toasted buttery brioche bun. And I can’t say no to the combo of mayo and BBQ sauce. It’s one of my fave burger sauces!
What does it taste like?
Buttery brioche burger bun (a recipe I have yet to perfect!) with juicy marinated chicken with is coated in a crispy flour coating, cooked to perfection and sandwiched with cheese, BBQ sauce, mayo (love that combo) and crispy veggies!
What are the ingredients I need?
Chicken Breasts – You want to make sure your chicken breasts are not too thick, that’s why you need to slice them in half. As the chicken cooks, it’s contracts and thickens and shrinks. So just account for that depending on the size of your buns. Some people like their chicken smaller than the bun and others bigger than the bun. It’s up to you, go nuts!
Buttermilk – store bought or homemade is fine! Buttermilk is so important in ensuring the chicken comes out perfectly moist and juicy after deep frying.
Salt – I used fine salt
Cracked pepper – fresh is best!
Garlic powder – I used the Masterfoods brand, but any brand will do. I’d steer away from using freshly minced because it will burn in the oil.
Onion powder – any brand will do. This adds a slight sweetness to the marinade.
Cake flour – this is a lower gluten and lighter flour and will result in a lighter crispier coating
Thyme – freshly chopped or dried.
Paprika – adds a smokiness to the chicken.
Baking powder – when this is added to the coating it helps lighten it up by creating air bubbles and
4 brioche buns – I would highly recommend toasting them. If you want a super soft bun, you can steam them if you want them to be really soft.
Lettuce – I used butter lettuce but any will work.
Red onion – I love the sweetness this gives the burger.
Mayonnaise – I used egg mayonnaise because it’s not sweet. Personal preference.
BQQ Sauce – I used a smokey bbq sauce, but any will do.
Cheese slices – Cheddar, American, but my personal favorite is swiss!
Sweet Pickles – I like the sweet ones but you can use whichever ones you like.
Vegetable oil – I used pure vegetable oil. Not blended. Much better flavour. You can use sunflower oil too.
My Top Tips!
These crispy chicken burgers keep surprisingly well! They’ll stay crispy if stored in the fridge in an airtight container. Simply fry, place in the fridge and then put together right before you serve them.
You want to make sure your chicken breasts are not too thick, that’s why you need to slice them in half. As the chicken cooks, it’s contracts and thickens and shrinks. So just account for that depending on the size of your buns. Some people like their chicken smaller than the bun and others bigger than the bun. It’s up to you, go nuts!
Using cake flour (not the self-raising kind) results in a nice light chicken coating. You can use all-purpose flour in its place, but it will be a little heavier.
Re-heating The Chicken
To reheat the chicken, let it thaw from the fridge for 10 minutes before placing in the oven for 10 minutes on 180°C / 350°F.
Mix it up!
You can use any type of cheese, veggies or sauce you like in this recipe, make it your own!
Other Guilty Pleasure Recipes You Might Like!
- Gozleme Spinach And Cheese Flatbread
- Oven Baked Fish Fingers
- ULTIMATE Grilled Cheese
- Veggie Lovers Pizza
- Greek Slow Roasted Lamb
- Greek Lamb Burgers
Following me on my social pipes is the best way to keep up to with my daily kitchen adventures!.
@thescranline – for my desserts
@thescranlineeveryday – for my savory recipes
The Scran Line – for my full dessert videos with voice over instructions.
The Scran Line Everyday – for my savory recipes with full voice walk throughs!
So much fun happening here and it’s a great community to be a part of!
Make sure you leave a comment down bellow if you try this recipe, or just say hello! I’d love to hear from you! I’ll see you all on the following recipe!
Crispy Chicken Burger
- 2 (450 g) large chicken breasts sliced in half (see notes)
- 1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk see notes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups (225 g) cake flour see notes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried or fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 brioche buns
- Butter lettuce washed and dried
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 4 slices cheese American, swiss or cheddar
- Sweet pickles
- 1 large tomato thinly sliced
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
Learn How To Make it! [VIDEO]
- Add all of the ingredients (except the chicken) into a medium sized mixing bowl. Use a whisk to combine. Cover your chicken breasts with plastic wrap or a freezer bag and thin out the thick parts by bashing it with a meat hammer. Alternatively, you can slice the chicken breast in half long ways to thin them out. See notes on why you need to do this. Add the chicken to the marinade and mix to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 2 hours or up to overnight. The longer you leave it, the more tender the chicken becomes.
- Add all of the ingredients into a medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. Use tongs to take the chicken out of the marinade and allow excess to drip off before placing into the bowl with the coating. Flip it around ensuring you coat the chicken well in the crumb mixture. Then place on top of a cooling rack with a baking tray underneath.
- Fill your large pot with an inch of vegetable oil to 175°C / 350°F. To test the oil temperature, add some crumbs in the oil and if it bubbles then it’s ready. Place two pieces of chicken in at a time and cook until golden brown. It will take about 3-5 minutes on each side. If the chicken browns too quickly, you need to turn your temperature down. Place back on the cooling rack and allow to sit for 3-4 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken should be 75°C / 165°F.
- To assemble the chicken burgers, lightly butter both sides of the brioche buns with butter. Place on a very hot fry pan and toast until golden brown. Alternatively, you can grill them using the grill setting on your oven.
- Add some mayo on one side, bqq sauce on the other and then add the lettuce, tomato slices, pickles and onion on the bottom half of the bun, followed by the chicken. Serve immediately!