Easy Grilled Chicken
Get your tastebuds ready for the juiciest and tastiest Easy Grilled Chicken recipe! It’s bursting with flavor, succulent and tasty and easy to serve to a crowd! Plus, it’s easy to flavor using your favorite spices and marinade.
One of my favorite things about this recipe is how versatile it is. You can use it in wraps, serve it with rice or a salad and you have a tasty nutritious meal! While we’re on the topic of salads this would go well with, try my Healthy Grilled Chicken Salad or my Simple Garden Green Salad!
Whether you’re grilling for your family or hosting a summer bbq, this simple and delicious recipe is sure to impress.
Transform your chicken game!
Here’s why Easy Grilled Chicken is a must have in your recipe arsenal!
- Healthy – and it’s packed with protein!
- Easy to make! – quick and easy to make, plus it’s so tasty making it a tasty weeknight option.
- So many serving options! – I’ll get into this a little later, but there are so many great things you can use this recipe for. My favorite is with a garden green salad. But it goes great in wraps, with rice, sandwiches etc.
Tips for choosing the right chicken!
Quality is key here. Go to your local butcher. Their chicken is much fresher than what’s on offer at your supermarket. Choose chicken that’s the same size to make sure everything cooks at the same time.
Simple Ingredients for mouthwatering Grilled Chicken
Note: the whole recipe, including the ingredient quantities, can be found at the bottom of this page – just scroll down to the bottom, or click the ‘Jump to Recipe’ button at the top of this post.Jump to Recipe
- Chicken – I used chicken breast. Buy it from a butcher for the freshest and tastiest chicken. I bought mine skinless and boneless.
- Italian herb mix – I like using ready-made Italian herb mix because of it’s classic flavor combination.
- Garlic powder – I opt in for garlic powder instead of freshly minced garlic because it tends to burn on a grill.
- Onion powder – Adds a delicious sweetness and flavor!
- Salt – I used fine salt.
- White pepper – freshly ground pepper will work here too.
- Brown sugar – optional, but adds a slightly delicious sweetness and helps the chicken brown nicely on the outside.
- Lemon or lime – I tend to gravitate to lime because I like the flavor better. Whatever you use, fresh is best!
- Olive oil – I use extra virgin olive oil because I like the flavor.
- Chopped parsley – adds more or a visual flair than flavor.
- The acidity in the lemon (or lime) helps tenderize the chicken and make it soft and juicy so don’t skip it! You can use alternatives like mustard if you like!
- Marinade in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, overnight will give you an incredible flavor!
- Make sure the chicken is evenly coated for best flavor results.
Follow these steps for Juicy Grilled Chicken!
- I like to begin by cutting the fat off my chicken, you don’t have to do this, but it’s what I do.
- Slice the middle nerves out. They’re very small. Again, optional.
- You’re left with your chicken breast! Let’s get cooking!
- Add your chicken breast into a bowl along with all your spices and mix to coat. Allow to marinade for 30 minutes or overnight in the fridge.
- Once marinade, drizzle a hot skillet with oil
- Cook your chicken on each side for 5-6 minutes or until a meat thermometer read 75C / 165F. The chicken should run clear juices, not cloudy and appear white in the middle, not pink or slightly pink.
- Transfer to a chopping board
- Cover with foil and rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Use a sharp knife to slice up.
How to serve your Grilled Chicken!
- Tossed in a salad
- Tasty Chicken Wrap
- Chicken sandwich or burger
- Tacos – chopped up
- Stir fry – just toss before serving!
- On Top of your favorite pizza!
Cooking Chicken To Perfection!
Cooking chicken is a simple recipe to have up your sleeve but there are some little things to keep in mind for the very best and juiciest results!
- Use a non-stick frypan – that way the chicken doesn’t stick. If using an outdoor grill, cast iron skillet or stainless-steel frypan make sure you oil them well!
- Cook on medium high heat. Too low a heat will cause the chicken to stew, and it will result in dry chicken and too high a heat will burn your chicken and leave the middle raw.
- Once you turn the chicken over, cover with a lid to continue cooking. Add a tbsp of water in there to create a steamy interior which will help keep the chicken moist but also help the middle cook through.
Tips and Tricks For Easy Grilled Chicken!
- Using a meat thermometer – to make sure the internal temperature of your cooked chicken is 75C / 165F.
- Cook on medium high heat, not low or high.
- Choose chicken that’s the same size for even cooking results.
- Shop at a butcher for fresh chicken breast.
- Cut off excess fat that may be on the chicken for a lower fat and healthier option.
- Marinade for at least 30 minutes, overnight is best for that flavor to soak in.
- Slice your chicken breasts in half if you want them to cook faster.
- Scale your recipe up easily! This recipe makes enough for two people but you can make 4 or 6 or 10 by increasing the seasoning amounts accordingly.
- Let your chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing. It will lock in the juices. If you slice as soon as you take it out of the skillet it won’t be as juicy. Covering with foil will keep the chicken hot.
Food Safety 101
- Avoid cross contamination – keep raw chicken away from other foods. I use a separate chopping board and scrub it with soap and hot water when done.
- Store chicken in the fridge at 4C / 40F until ready to use. Use it the day of purchase or the following day.
- Chicken should be cooked to a temperature of 75C / 165F. You can test the internal temperature by using a meat thermometer or by slicing the thickest part of the chicken. It should be white, not pink and the juices should run clear.
Frequently Asked Questions about Easy Grilled Chicken!
What does it taste like?
My combo of flavors give you a sweet, salty and slightly tangy flavored chicken which hits all the flavor profiles you want. The beauty of this recipe is that you can use your favorite spices. Just keep the basics in mind, season with salt, tenderize with an acid (lemon/lime) and add a very small amount of sweetness in there like brown sugar or honey.
How do I store this?
Cooked chicken can be stored in the fridge for up to two days and in the freezer for up to a month.
How do I reheat chicken?
To reheat from the freezer, thaw completely in the fridge and cook in a skillet on medium heat with a little oil until heated through. My general rule with chicken is you reheat it once. You shouldn’t reheat it more than once.
How do I know if my chicken is cooked?
You can use a meat thermometer, or you can slice the thickest part. The chicken should be white when it’s cooked and the juice should run clear not cloudy. If the chicken is pink, even slightly pink, it’s not cooked.
Can I cook these on a BBQ?
Yep! Oil your grill well to avoid sticking and use the same marinade and cooking principles as grilling indoors.
If you loved this recipe, check these out!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @thescranline on Facebook and Instagram!
Easy Grilled Chicken
- 2 large (600 g) chicken breasts skinless and boneless (see notes)
- 1 tbsp Italian herb mix
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 lemons or limes juiced.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- Add the chicken breasts to a large mixing bowl along with all of the marinade ingredients. Mix using your hands until combined and the chicken is coated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet to medium high heat. Drizzle with 1 tsp of olive oil and place the chicken on top. Cook for 6 minutes then use tongs to turn over. Cook for another 6 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 75C / 165F. Then squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lime or lemon on top and cover with a lid immediately. Cook for another 60 seconds. Transfer to a cutting board and let it rest for 3-4 minutes before using a large knife to slice up. Serve with a salad, pasta or in a sandwich.