Chewy Chocolate Cookies
Satisfy your chocolate cravings with these irresistibly rich and Fudgy Chewy Chocolate Cookies! Gooey center, drenched in chocolate flavor! Even a novice baker can jump in the kitchen and make these easy cookies. They’re quick to put together and use super simple ingredients you probably already have.
I have loads of great cookie recipes on the site, but some of my favorites are my Chocolate Brownie Cookies (so chewy!) and my Raspberry Linzer Cookies (great for gift giving!). If you’re looking for a classic cookie, try my Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Let’s talk chocolate, these cookies are deeply chocolatey and topped with milk chocolate. Using the very best ingredients make an exceptional cookie that will leave people begging for the recipe. If that sounds like a problem you want to have, let’s get baking! Amazing chocolate cookies here we come!
No chilling time!
Yeah, you heard right, these cookies don’t need to be chilled before baking. Some recipes chill the cookie dough to help the dough become more flavorsome and not spread too much in the oven as they bake. Well, we’ve already taken care of the flavor with these cookies by using great quality ingredients and these cookies spread the perfect amount as they bake without becoming too thin.
I went through several tests for these cookies. I wanted to develop a fudgy and cookie that was chewy not crumbly or crispy, rich in chocolate flavor and a perfectly thick cookie that didn’t spread too much. Every single recipe uses the same basic ingredients, but it’s the ratios that really give you the very best results. That’s what you get with this recipe. The right ratios of flour, sugar, cocoa and butter.
Can I share a secret though? I kind of cheated and used an ingredient to fast track myself to a chewy cookie by using bread flour. A high gluten flour that gives you chewy bread. No brainer right? It works!
What you’ll love about these Chewy Chocolate Cookies!
- Irresistibly chewy! – with a melt in your mouth texture!
- Chocolate overload – we use cocoa in the cookies for a deep chocolate flavor and some milk chocolate for some creamy sweetness.
- So easy to make! – the cookie dough comes together in about 6 minutes and there’s no chilling time!
To get perfectly round cookies, use a round cookie cutter a little larger than your cookies and shuffle it around the cookies to shape them into rounder cookies. Add more white chocolate chips on top. Allow to cool completely before serving.
Ingredients for the BEST Cookies ever!
Note: the whole recipe, including the ingredient quantities, can be found at the bottom of this page – just scroll down to the bottom, or click the ‘Jump to Recipe’ button at the top of this post.Jump to Recipe
- Bread flour – This is my secret to getting chewy chocolate cookies! This is a high gluten flour often used for bread recipes to help get you a chewier bread. If you don’t have bread flour handy, you can use regular all-purpose flour (plain flour) and get great results.
- Naturally sweetened cocoa powder – this is different to Dutch processed cocoa powder.
- Bicarb soda – also known as baking soda, this will help your cookies rise a little.
- Salt – I used fine salt.
- White chocolate chips – these are baking chips.
- Unsalted butter – make sure it’s softened.
- Brown sugar – this helps add flavor and makes your cookies chewier.
- White sugar – granulated sugar or caster sugar (superfine) will work.
- Egg – I used a large egg. Make sure it’s at room temperature.
- Vanilla Extract – Always use good quality vanilla extract when baking, it makes a huge difference. I have a great recipe here for it if you’d like to try your own!
- Milk – use room temperature milk.
- Milk chocolate – I used Lindt milk chocolate because I love how creamy it is and how flat it is which makes it easier to melt into puddles on the hot cookies!
Let’s go through the recipe: it’s so easy!
- Sift the dry ingredients together
- Whisk to combine
- Add the white chocolate chips
- Mix to combine.
- Add the butter and both sugars to a separate bowl and beat together until creamy
- Add the egg, milk and vanilla extract and mix.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix using a spatula until a dough forms.
- Use a cookie scoop (2tbsp)
- Lay out on a baking tray. Bake for 8 minutes
- Use a large cookie cutter to shuffle unto a rounder shape.
- Chop the milk chocolate
- Place on top of the hot cookies so it melts on top.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Measure using kitchen scales – this will give you the most accurate reading of ingredient measurements and a great cookie!
- Bake in the middle rack – one rack at a time for even baking results!
- Use a cookie scoop to measure your cookies so they’re all the same size and bake at the same time.
- Make sure you soften your butter properly. Soft enough that you can make an indent in the butter with your fingers with some resistance.
How do I get chewy cookies instead of crunchy?
The most common way to make any cookie chewy is all in the cooking time. The less you bake, the chewy and fudger they’ll be. You don’t want to underbake otherwise they’re just undercooked.
How do I store the cookies?
Store cooked cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days. They’re even chewier the next day.
How do I freeze these cookies?
You can freeze the baked cookies in an airtight container by wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap for up to 2 months. But the dough can be frozen too! Simply roll into cookie dough balls and wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze for up to 2 months. You can bake them frozen on 140C for up to 12 minutes. Although, for this recipe, I would ideally bake them when completely thawed for 8 minutes on 150C.
Can I use less sugar in my cookies?
No. This recipe relies heavily on using the right ratios to give you the same results as I got in my kitchen.\
Gave this a go? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! Hungry for more? Join me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and TikTok for more great recipes!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @thescranline on Facebook and Instagram!
Chewy Chocolate Cookies
Chewy Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup (150 g) bread flour sifted (see notes)
- 2/3 cup (60 g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup (200 g) white chocolate chips 200g white chocolate chips, divided
- 2/3 cup (165 g) unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup (100 g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (105 g) caster sugar superfine
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup (100 g) chopped milk cooking chocolate chopped (see notes)
Chewy Chocolate Cookies
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 150C / 300F. Line two large baking sheets with baking paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and white chocolate chips. Use a whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl add both sugars and softened butter (make sure it’s really soft but not melted) and use an electric hand beater or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment to beat until pale and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl using a spatula. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Stop the mixer, scrape down the bowl. Add the dry ingredients into the bowl and use a spatula to mix until a dough forms. Use a cookie scoop that holds 2 tbsp of cookie dough and roll into 14 balls (6 on each sheet). Bake for 8 minutes. The cookies will be very soft when they come out of the oven.
- To get perfectly round cookies, use a round cookie cutter a little larger than your cookies and shuffle it around the cookies to shape them into rounder cookies. Finish the chopped milk chocolate on top. Allow to cool completely before serving.
So excited for you guys to taste how chocolatey these yummy chewy cookies are! N x