Easy Asian Chicken Rice Bowls
If you’re stuck for dinner ideas during the week and want something delicious and filling, then this tasty Asian Chicken Rice Bowls is ready in under 20 minutes and packs a huge flavor punch!
I absolutely love the simplicity and ease of this Asian inspired recipe. The rice basically steams itself and I have an amazing recipe for that on the blog, but the real star of the show is the sticky sauce and tender cooked chicken that helps bring everything together.
I’ve perfected the flavors of the sticky Asian sauce to my liking over the last year or so but the beauty is that you can really just use what’s in your cupboard to make it your own. The key is balancing the sweet, salty and sour flavors so give it a try before cooking and adjust. If you want to make this even more nutritious, throw in your favorite veggies like steamed broccoli, corn and peas, anything you like!
Why I love this recipe!
- Tasty – that sticky sauce is simply divine! Perfectly sweet, salty and sour.
- nutritious – add your favorite veggies to make it even more delicious.
- Filling – that steamed rice and simple chicken and sauce is surprisingly filling and satisfying.
- Ready in 20 minutes! – literally start to finish, you’re eating delicious food with minimal prep work!
It’s impressive enough to make on a special Friday night or serve at dinner party with friends. You can dress it up like I did with some fried shallots and spring onion to make it look like a restaurant quality take out meal!
Table of Contents
Ingredients You Need To Make Asian Chicken Rice Bowl
Note: the whole recipe, including the ingredient quantities, can be found at the bottom of this page – just scroll down to the bottom, or click the ‘Jump to Recipe’ button at the top of this post.
- Sesame oil – regular oil will work.
- Ketchup – also known as tomato sauce. Odd ingredient to use in an Asian sauce but it adds so much delicious flavor!
- Oyster sauce – vegetarian oyster sauce will also work.
- Chinese cooking wine – also known as Shaoxing Wine. You can use rice wine vinegar too. It adds tanginess.
- Dark soy sauce – is stronger in flavor and darker in appearance. You can also use regular soy sauce if you wish.
- Brown sugar – helps add sweetness. You can use honey instead if you like.
- Ginger – freshly minced is best, but jarred will also work.
- Corn starch – also known as corn flour, helps thicken the sauce.
- White pepper – just helps add a little bit of a bite in the sauce.
- Vegetable oil – for cooking the chicken.
- Onion – brown or white will work. Thinly sliced.
- Garlic cloves – thinly sliced will work but you can mince it too.
- Chicken mince – I used lean chicken mince. Buy from a butcher, not from a supermarket. It’s always cheaper and better quality.
- Spring onion – also known as scallions.
- Sesame seeds – I actually used Nori furikake which is used for flavoring rice because I ran out of sesame seeds.
- Fried shallots – to sprinkle.
How to make my Asian Chicken Rice Bowl!
- Fry up the garlic and onion for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the chicken and stir on high heat until cooked.
- Add the sauce and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Serve with rice, fried shallots, spring onion and sesame seeds.
Tips and Tricks For Recipe Success!
- Measure out using kitchen scales – measuring ingredients out by weight and not cups is the best way to get consistent results every time! I wrote more about it here!
- Put your steamed rice on the stove before you begin making your chicken and sauce so its ready in time. Recipe here.
- Add your favorite veggies to make this extra filling and nutritious.
- You can use other ground meat too! This works with pork mince, turkey mince or even beef mince!
- Make it vegetarian and replace the mince with finely chopped up mushrooms!
Commonly Asked Questions
How to store it!
Store in an airtight container and in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can warm this up in the microwave. It makes a great work meal option!
Can I use other types of ground meat?
Yes! Use any type you like. Even vegan mince will work. This would be particularly nice with finely chopped mushrooms!
What if I don’t have all of the sauce ingredients?
We don’t all have a generous array of food blogger level sauces, so you can use what you have. Just use a balance of sweet (honey or brown sugar), sour (mirin, Chinese cooking wine or rice wine vinegar) and something salty like soy sauce.
If you loved this recipe, check these out!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @thescranline on Facebook and Instagram!
Easy Asian Chicken Rice Bowl
- 1 tbsp sesame oil toasted sesame oil is a great toasty flavor boost!
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine or rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce can use light soy sauce if you like
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) 125ml water
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- Pinch of white pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 500 g (1 lbs) chicken mince buy from your local butcher
- steamed rice
- spring onion (scallions) thinly sliced
- sesame seeds
- fried shallots to sprinkle adds crunch!
- Add all the sauce ingredients into a bowl or jug and mix to combine. Set aside.
- To a large skillet, on medium high heat, add 2 tbsp of vegetable oil and the garlic and onion. Stir with a wooden spoon until it just begins to color. Then add the chicken and break up using the spoon. Cook until it isn’t pink anymore.
- Add the sauce and stir to coat everything. Cook until the sauce begins to get sticky.
- Spoon onto a bowl of steamed rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds, fried shallots and sliced spring onion.
Nutrition - is based on per serving.