How To Perfectly Steam Broccoli
Learn How to Perfectly Steam Broccoli with this easy tutorial. It makes the perfect healthy side dish or veggie to use in a saucy stir-fry! Broccoli isn’t just for pretending you’re a giant holding trees, it’s a nutrient dense vegetable that can be used in so many amazing ways and is incredibly easy to prepare!
Earthy in flavor with a delightful sweetness, it’s tender yet crispy and can be used as a side dish or a way to crisp up a salad or stir-fry. It takes minimal effort and is definably something you should know how to prepare! Delicious vegetable dish here we come!
Benefits of Steamed Broccoli: power up your health!
Those little trees aren’t just for pretending you’re a giant, they’re delicious and knowing how to steam them to crispy perfection will help you make so many delicious recipes!
Broccoli is nutrient dense. It’s packed with antioxidants fiber and vitamin C, K1, Potassium, Magnesium and Iron. Broccoli is great for eye health, heart health and great for disease prevention. It’s also low in calories making it perfect for those on a mission to be healthy!
More Than A Side: How To serve Steamed Broccoli!
The great thing about steaming Broccoli is that you can toss it into your dish right at the end and not worry about it being under or over cooked because the cooking is already done! It’s great for using in
- Side dish – season with salt, pepper and lemon. Or serve with a sprinkling of pine nuts and parmesan.
- Stir fry – add right at the end and toss into the stir fry!
- Salads – for added nutrition and flavor
How To Prepare Steamed broccoli (Stove Top Method)
One bunch of broccoli goes a long way and serves about 4 as a side dish. When you buy broccoli from the store you’ll need to clean it before cooking. Before you do that, here’s how to cut it up.
- Slice the florets (the tops) off the broccoli in bite sized pieces.
- Once you’ve done that, you’ll be left with the stem. Don’t throw that out it’s edible.
- Slice off the woody exterior
- Before slicing up into discs.
- Wash the broccoli under running water and shake off excess water.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the broccoli to a steaming basket and place on top. Steam for 8 minutes.
- Look how bright green that broccoli is!
Steamed Broccoli (Microwave Method)
Prepare broccoli as instructed above. Add to a large heatproof bowl and pour 3 tbsp of water on top. Cover with a plate and microwave on high for 2 1/2 – 4 minutes until you can pierce it with a fork. Take care when lifting the lid away as it will be hot and will expel a lot of hot steam. Use oven mitts or a towel.
Tips and Tricks For Perfect Broccoli!
- Don’t overcook! 8 minutes is the recommended time to steam one bunch of broccoli. It will result in a bright green perfectly tender but crispy broccoli. The more you cook it, the softer it will become but it will go dull in color.
- Cooking is easy! Cook on the stove using a steaming basket or in the microwave.
- Use oven mits if using the microwave method as the steam is hot!
- Season your broccoli with salt and oil for a simple side.
- Cut the florets evenly to make sure everything is cooked at the same time and the same rate.
Frequently Asked Questions about RECIPE
What does it taste like?
It has a mild, earthy flavor with a delightful sweetness. Steamed broccoli when done properly is tender with a slight crisp. It’s a healthy, versatile and happy vegetable full of incredible nutrients!
How do I store this?
Let the broccoli cool down before storing in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Can I steam frozen broccoli?
Absolutely! It should take roughly the same time but could take a little longer. Most packets will have steaming instructions.
How can I make my steamed broccoli more flavorful?
Season with salt, pepper and a drizzle of lemon juice for a tasty side dish.
Is steamed broccoli healthy?
Yes! It’s nutrient dense, low in calories and high in vitamins.
Can I reheat steamed broccoli?
Yep! Re-heat in the microwave in a frypan with some oil.
Gave this a go? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! Hungry for more? Join me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and TikTok for more great recipes!
Looking for more tasty vegetarian recipes?
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @thescranline on Facebook and Instagram!
How To Perfectly Steam Broccoli (Microwave and Stovetop Method)
- 1 head of broccoli
Steamed Broccoli (stove top)
- Cut the florets (top flower-like bit) away from the stem. Slice into bite sized pieces. Use a peeler of knife to cut away the woody exterior of the stem and slice into discs about 1cm thick. Rinse well under water.
- Fill a saucepan with steamer basket and lid about 1/3 of the way with water. Bring to a gentle boil on high heat.
- Add the broccoli to the steamer basket and place on top of the saucepan. Place the lid on top and steam for 5-6 minutes. The broccoli will turn bright green! To test of the broccoli is cooked, pierce with a fork, it should go through with some resistance. The more you cook the broccoli, the softer it will become. The less, the crispier.
Steamed Broccoli (microwave)
- Prepare broccoli as instructed above. Add to a large heatproof bowl and pour 3 tbsp of water on top. Cover with a plate and microwave on high for 2 1/2 - 4 minutes until you can pierce it with a fork. Take care when lifting the lid away as it will be hot and will expel a lot of hot steam. Use oven mitts or a towel.
- Serving suggestion: serve broccoli with some butter (olive oil is a healthier option), salt and pepper and a dash of lemon squeezed on top. This broccoli is also perfect for adding to stir-fries right at the end.
This recipe can be used in so many ways! My favorite is in stir-fries! N x