Chicken And Broccoli Stir-Fry
This irresistibly, extra saucy Chicken And Broccoli Stir-Fry is a quick and easy weeknight dinner option that is packed full of flavor! Serve over steamy rice and you have a tasty meal, ready in 30 minutes!
This mouthwatering stir-fry is a quick and effortless dinner option that is perfect for those with busy weeknights, delivering and explosion of yummy flavors. Pairing it with some steamy rice gives you a truly satisfying meal!
The chicken is tenderized using a method called velveting (more on that bellow) which results in a deliciously soft chicken. Combine that with perfectly steamed Broccoli that adds crunch, you have a take-out style meal in 30 minutes!
Why You’ll Love This Chicken And Broccoli Stir Fry!
- Quick and easy! This recipe is ready in about 30 minutes!
- Healthy – this recipe uses steamed broccoli packed full of nutrients and the chicken makes it high in protein.
- So full of flavor! – the sauce is rich, savory with a hint of sweetness. And there’s no shortage of it either!
- Perfect for meal prep! – This recipe is a great option for taking something tasty to work or having dinner ready earlier on in the day.
Soft And Tender Chicken is easy with this simple technique!
Velveting chicken is a technique that is used in Chinese restaurants to tenderize chicken before being cooked. You simply sprinkle the thinly sliced chicken breast in some bicarbonate of soda (also known as baking soda), mix it and let it sit in the fridge to work its magic. Once you wash away the bicarb soda and lightly sauté the chicken, finishing it off in the sauce, you’re left with an ultra-soft and tender chicken for your dish! This method is best used for saucy recipes like this one!
What makes a good stir-fry great?
Using good quality ingredients is important because it enhances the flavor profile of your stir-fry but prepping everything in advance is key for a seamless and quick stir-fry experience. Pair this recipe with my Steamed Rice and Broccoli which I’d recommend making before you start the stir-fry. Make sure you velvet your chicken beforehand for soft and tender chicken too! It might seem like it’s a lot of steps, but these things can be done at the same time giving you an amazing meal in about 30- minutes.
Ingredients You Need To Make this stir-fry!
Note: the whole recipe, including the ingredient quantities, can be found at the bottom of this page – just scroll down to the bottom, or click the ‘Jump to Recipe’ button at the top of this post.
- Corn Starch – also known as corn flour, this is used to thicken the sauce. Make sure you don’t add anything back into the cooked and finished stir-fry otherwise it will contaminate the sauce and it will turn to liquid.
- Soy Sauce – I used regular light soy sauce. Don’t use dark. You can use light.
- Hoisin sauce – I love the sweetness that comes from this sauce.
- Oyster sauce – I love the added flavor this adds.
- Honey – I used regular honey and I love the sweetness it gives this recipe. You can use 1 tsp of brown sugar instead.
- Sesame oil – I absolutely love the flavor that comes from sesame oil. If you’re not a fan, use vegetable oil.
- Ginger – Use freshly grated ginger.
- Sesame seeds – this just adds visual flair! Sprinkling some on top is a nice way to garnish the dish.
- Chicken breast – Opt in for using chicken breasts from a good quality butcher rather than pre-packed chicken from a supermarket that is pumped full of nasty chemicals to prolong its shelf life and is frozen and thawed before you buy it. A good quality butcher will sell fresh chicken.
- Bicarb soda – also known as baking soda, this helps tenderize the chicken. Weirdly, even after washing the chicken it makes the onion turn green which is normal.
- Vegetable oil – or canola oil.
- Minced garlic – Always use fresh!
- Brown onion – thinly sliced.
- Broccoli – I have a great recipe on the site! Grab it here.
- Rice – I have a great recipe on the site! Grab it here.
How to make Chicken And Broccoli Stir-Fry!
- Add the soy sauce and corn starch into a jug or bowl and mix together.
- Add the remaining stir fry sauce ingredients.
- Slice the chicken breast.
- Add to a bowl and sprinkle bicarb soda on top.
- Mix together and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a colander and wash under water. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Sauté garlic in a deep skillet with oil.
- Add onion and sauté.
- Add chicken slices and sauté until it no long appears pink.
- Add the sauce.
- Stir until thickened and glossy.
- Add steamed broccoli
- Stir until coated. Serve with rice.
Tips and Tricks For Recipe Success!
- Start your pot of rice first! Once cooked, keep the lid on so it can stay warm when you serve it.
- Velvet your chicken breast next to give it enough time to tenderize in the fridge.
- Steam your broccoli before beginning the stir-fry. It won’t cook further in the stir-fry.
- Wash velvet chicken off well and pat dry before cooking
- Make sure chicken reaches an internal temperature of 75C / 165F.
- For a gluten free sauce, use gluten free soy sauce, coconut aminos or tamari.
- Make sure you mix the corn starch with the soy sauce first to make sure it dissolves well before adding the rest of the sauce ingredients.
Frequently Asked Questions about this Chicken And Broccoli Stir-Fry
How do I store cooked Stir-Fry?
Store any left overs in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can I use other types of protein?
Yep! You can use stir-fry beef strips or chicken thigh strips. Skip the velveting techniques for these. Prawns or fish would also work well!
Can I use tofu instead?
Yes! Use extra-firm tofu. Cook in a little vegetable before tossing into the stir fry at the end with the steamed broccoli.
Is Chicken And Broccoli Stir-Fry healthy?
Yes! The sauce may be a little high in salt, but the Broccoli is nutrient dense and the chicken high in protein which makes it a nutritious dinner option!
What other vegetables can I use?
Pretty much anything! You can sauté sliced carrot, baby corn, snow peas, sliced onion, capsicum and mushrooms! In fact I was supposed to put mushrooms in this recipe and forgot to!
How do I make this a spicy stir-fry?
Add some siracha or crushed red pepper flakes!
If you loved this recipe, check these out!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @thescranline on Facebook and Instagram!
Chicken And Broccoli Stir-Fry
Stir Fry Sauce
- 3 tbsp corn starch/flour
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce or regular, not dark
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp honey or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds plus extra to serve
- 1 1/2 cups (350 ml) chicken stock or water
- Note: This recipe moves quickly so make sure everything is measured before beginning. You also want to steam your rice before starting and steam your broccoli. I have easy recipes for both on the site.
Tenderized Chicken (optional but great!)
- This is a method I learned from Nagi at RecipeTin Eats and it’s called velveting your chicken. It’s a chicken tenderizing method that results in super soft chicken just like a Chinese restaurant. This is optional, but I never skip it. Begin by adding your sliced chicken breast or thigh into a medium sized bowl. Sprinkle with bicarb soda and mix. Pop back in the fridge for 20 minutes. Then transfer to a colander and rinse well under cold water. Get rid of as much of the water as you can. Pat with a paper towel as well as you can. Pop back in the fridge until ready to use!
Stir Fry Sauce
- Begin by adding the corn starch and soy sauce to a large jug and use a spoon to combine well. Then add the remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Set aside.
- Add the oil and garlic to a large deep frypan or wok that’s been preheated on medium high heat. Allow to cook for 30 seconds before adding the onion. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and stir until cooked on the outside. The small amount of bicarb left on the chicken (if you tenderized it) will weirdly turn the onions green which is normal!
- Once cooked, about 3 minutes, add the sauce and stir. It will thicken and turn glossy. Bring to a simmer before turning the heat down to low, cook for 6 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and finish by adding the steamed broccoli. Serve with rice or noodles.