Jam Drop Cupcakes
Jam Drop Cupcakes! Have you ever tried jam drop cookies? They’re like these delicious shortbread cookies with a little drop of jam in the centre. That’s what these cupcakes are all about!
Vanilla cupcakes with a raspberry jam centre. Vanilla buttercream covered in crushed shortbread cookies and jam on top.
Jam Drop Cupcakes
- 3 1/2 cups (430 g) plain flour all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cups (265 g) caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp (3 tsp) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) fine salt
- 1/2 cup (125 g) unsalted butter softened
- 2 large (2 large) eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) full-cream milk whole
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 10 (10) shortbread cookies roughly chopped
- 10-15 (10-15) shortbread cookies finely crushed
- 1 cup (200 g) raspberry jam
- 1 batch (1 batch) of fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting
Learn How To Make it! [VIDEO]
- Preheat your oven to 180C (356F) or 160C (320F) for a fan forced oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add milk, eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons). Sprinkle with crushed shortbread cookies. Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- While your cupcakes are baking and cooling, prepare the crushed shortbread cookies.
- Core the centre of each cupcake and fill with raspberry jam. Fit the end of a piping bag with a large round tip and frost each cupcake in a bulb taking care to ensure the frosting is stuck to the cake. Carefully roll the sides of the frosting in the crushed cookies and coat the top too, using the cookies to help shape the frosting into a dome shape as demonstrated in the video. If your frosting looks like its going to fall off the cake refrigerate your cupcakes for 30 min to help stiffen the frosting up a little before coating them.
- Finish off by carefully creating a dent in the centre of the frosting using either a clean finger or the back of a spoon and fill with raspberry jam.