Neon Galaxy Cupcakes
Neon Galaxy Cupcakes! A glow in the dark cupcake? Here it is! The secret ingredient is the tonic water. There’s a chemical in it that causes the cupcake to glow in the dark near UV light! How freaking cool!
Glow in the dark, brightly coloured, strawberry flavoured vanilla cupcakes with brightly coloured frosting dipped in tonic water glaze.
Neon Galaxy Cupcakes
- 3 1/2 cups (430 g) plain flour all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cups (265 g) caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp (3 tsp) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) fine salt
- 1/2 cup (125 g) unsalted butter softened
- 2 large (2 large) eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) full-cream milk whole
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) strawberry essence
- 5 drops (5 drops) pink food gel
- 3 drops (3 drops) orange food gel
- 1 pkt (1 pkt) clear jelly or blue jelly.
- 1/2 cup (175 ml) boiling water
- 1 cup (250 ml) tonic water
- 1 batch (1 batch) Swiss meringue buttercream frosting
- 2 drops (2 drops) green food gel + 1 drop yellow food gel
- 2 drops (2 drops) purple food gel
- 2 drops (2 drops) blue food gel
Learn How To Make it! [VIDEO]
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add tonic water, eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons).
- Bake for 30-35 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- Prepare the jello recipe according to the packet instructions but replace the water in the recipe with the tonic water. Allow to come to room temperature before using.
- To prepare frosting split into three separate bowls. Colour one purple, one green with the green and yellow food gel and blue. Mix until well combined.
- Add each colour to three separate piping bags and snip a small bit off the end of each one.
- Lay a piece of plastic wrap on your work bench and pipe lines of the different coloured frosting on it. Then roll up and twist both ends. Snip off one end and insert it into a large piing bag fitted with a Wilton 1M piping tip. Frost a swirl of frosting on your cupcakes and dip into the jelly/jello. Allow excess to drip off, before chilling.
- Use a black light to make them glow in the dark!