Nougat Cupcakes! Is there anything better than bitting into something chewy, yet soft and delicate, with spices, crispy nuts and chewy tart fruits? That’s basically what these cupcakes are inspired by!
Pistachio and cranberry vanilla cupcakes, filled with soft nougat, topped with nougat buttercream frosting.
- 3 1/2 cups (430 g) plain flour all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cups (265 g) caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp (3 tsp) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) fine salt
- 1/2 cup (125 g) unsalted butter softened
- 2 large (2 large) eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) full-cream milk whole
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 150 g (150 g) chopped pistachios
- 150 g (150 g) dried cranberries
- 2 batches (2 batches) swiss meringue buttercream frosting
- 4 tbsp (4 tbsp) orange blossom honey
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) almond extract
- 1/4 cup (150 g) pistachios
- 1/4 cup (150 g) dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup (160 g) granulated sugar
- 15 g (15 g) liquid glucose
- 1/4 cup (70 ml) water
- 1 (1 ) egg white
- 1/4 cup (150 g) orange blossom honey
- 20 (20 ) maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup (200 g) chopped pistachios
- 1/2 cup (200 g) dried cranberries
- Add the sugar, glucose and water in a medium sized saucepan and bring to a boil. Allow to simmer until it reaches 50C on a sugar thermometer.
- While that’s happening, add the honey in a separate saucepan and bring to a boil. Continue simmering until it reaches 120C.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites to soft peaks in the bowl of a stand mixer. When the honey has reached the correct temperature, slowly pour the honey into the egg whites while the mixer is on high speed. Repeat with the sugar syrup once it’s reached the correct temperature.
- Continue beating for 5 minutes until the mixture becomes thick and glossy.
- Fold in the pistachios and cranberries. Place in a large piping bag and set aside.
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 140°C (275°F) or a conventional oven to 160°C (320°F). Line two cupcake tins with the cupcake liners.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to a large mixing bowl and mix with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Next, add the softened butter and mix on low speed until the mixture reaches a crumbly, sand-like texture.
- Add the eggs, milk, oil, yoghurt and vanilla, and mix on low speed until all the dry ingredients are incorporated. Scrape down the side of the bowl, add the pistachios and cranberries and fold into the batter using a spatula.
- Fill each liner three-quarters of the way. Using an ice-cream scoop to transfer the batter to the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process, and ensures each liner contains exactly the same amount of batter and that the cupcakes will bake evenly. Bake for 40–50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
- To prepare the frosting add all ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- To prepare the crumb coating, add the pistachios and cranberries into a mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Core the centre of each cupcake using an apple corer and fill with nougat filling.
- Fit the end of a piping bag with a large round tip and frost a large bulb of buttercream. Coat in the crumb coating.
- Fit the end of a piping bag with a Wilton 6b piping tip and frost a swirl of frosting on top of the coated frosting. Finish with a maraschino cherry.