One of my favourite ever flavoured cupcakes when I worked in a cupcake bakery was this cupcake! It’s toffee (caramel) and banana flavoured which is an amazing flavour combo!
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk full-cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1 large preferable ripe banana. The spottier the better (pureed with a fork)
- 1/2 cup crushed ginger cookies
- 1/2 can of dulce de leche see notes below on how to make your own
- 1 1/4 cup salted caramel sauce
- 1 cup crushed banana chips
- 1 batch of fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting
- 1/2 can of dulce de leche
- Preheat your oven to 180C (356F) or 160C (320F) for a fan forced oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add milk, eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl, add mushed banana and dulce and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake liner ½ way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons). Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- While your cupcakes are baking and cooling prepare your buttercream frosting by adding dulce and mix it until well combined.
- To finish off your cupcakes, core the centre and fill with dulce. To frosty them fit the end of your piping bag with a round tip and frost your cupcakes in a donut swirl as demonstrated in the video. Finish off with a drizzle of caramel sauce, and sprinkle of ginger cookies and crushed banana chips.
To make your own dulce de leche
- You’ll need 1 can of sweetened condensed milk.
- Place the can in a large pot and cover completely with water. Bring to a coil and then turn down to a simmer. Continue this for 2 hours, making sure the can is completely covered the entire time otherwise you run the risk of the can exploding. Let the cans cool down completely at room temperature before you open them if you value your face.
Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.
Calories : 181kcal
Saturated Fat: 8g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat : 0.1g
Trans Fat : 0.1g
Potassium : 48mg
Sugar : 1g
Vitamin A: 171IU
Vitamin C: 0.1mg
Iron: 1mgNutrition Disclosure