Candy Apple Cupcakes
These cupcakes are the perfect way to celebrate Halloween or the fall season! Look how beautiful they are?!!?? Vanilla cupcakes with a stewed apple centre and mousse top covered in mirror glaze.
Candy Apple Cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup caster sugar superfine
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Salted caramel sauce to drizzle
- Mint leaves to decorate
- 5 green apples peeled and cubed.
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 250 g white chocolate finely chopped + 100ml cream
- 250 ml cream
- Pinch salt
- 3 tsp unflavored powdered gelatin
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp dulce de leche can substitute it with 1 tbsp salted caramel sauce
Red Mirror Glaze
- 200 grams sweetened condensed milk
- 300 grams granulated sugar
- 150 grams water
- 350 grams white chocolate chips
- 19 grams gelatin + 1/2 cup water to bloom
- 4 -6 drops red red Americolour food gel liquid food dye will not work in this recipe
- Guys this recipe will need to be made over two days. Make the mousse and allow it to set on the first day. Prepare the mirror glaze, stewed apples and cupcakes on the second day and put them all together.
- Guys, this recipe will need to be made over two days. Make the mousse and allow it to set on the first day. Prepare the mirror glaze, stewed apples and cupcakes on the second day and put them all together.
- Prepare the mousse: combine the white choc chocolate, 100ml of cream, and salt in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring every 30 seconds, until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour it into a large bowl, and let it cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- While you wait for the chocolate mixture to cool, prepare the gelatin. Whisk together the gelatin and the cold water in a small bowl, and set it aside to let the gelatin absorb the water. When the chocolate is at room temperature, microwave the bowl of gelatin for 15 seconds, until it is melted. Whisk the melted gelatin and chocolate together.
- Whip the remaining 1 cup heavy cream to soft peaks. Add the dulce de leche and whip until you reach stiff peaks. Fold half of the whipped cream into the chocolate, and once it’s incorporated, gently fold in the remaining whipped cream.
- Pour the mixture into your silicone molds and allow them to set overnight. To remove them gently cut the very top of the opening using a sharp knife and invert the mousse out of the molds as shown in the video.
Red Mirror Glaze
- Combine gelatin with 1/2 cup of water and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat milk, sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Add bloomed gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Place chocolate chips in a large heat proof bowl. Pour hot mixture over chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes. Once chocolate has softened, add red food dye and use an immersion blender or a hand whisk to smooth mixture. Pour mixture through a sieve to remove any remaining lumps.
- Allow glaze to cool to 33C before pouring. You’ll need a candy thermometer to test the temp. If you don’t have one handy, I generally look for it to be thick enough that you can’t see the cake or mousse under the glaze when you pour it over. If it’s really thin when you pour it, let that set for 20 min and try pouring a second layer when it’s cooled a little more.
- Place set mousse on a wire wrack or on top of the end of a glass and pour mirror glaze over them all. Make sure it’s nice and thick on there. You might want to do two coats. Let one set for 20 min and then pour the second over.
- Once they’re all covered, place them in the fridge ready to use the following day.
- Add peeled and cubed apples into a medium sized microwave safe bowl along with lemon juice and brown sugar. Microwave for 5 min, stir and then microwave for an additional 5 min or until apples are tender. If there’s a lot of juice drain it out. Alternatively you can do this in a sauce pan on a stove top on medium heat. Set aside to cool down while you prepare the cupcakes.
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add milk, eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl, add stewed apples and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons). Drizzle some salted caramel sauce on top. (about 1 tsp)
- Bake for 30-35 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- - Few! Finishing it all off now…
- Carefully add your set mousse on top of each cupcake and finish off with a paper straw and a mint leaf right before serving.
Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days. MIRROR GLAZE: You don’t want to skip any steps when making this recipe. Make sure everything is measured exact. SET MOUSSE: There are no vegetarian substitutes to this recipe. But I’m sure with a simple Google search you can find a vegan set mousse recipe :0) MOULDS: The molds measure 70mm (7cm / 2.7”). in diameter I bought my molds online from an Australian cake supply store. You can find some with a simple Google search for ‘Silicone Half Sphere Mold’. You’ll also be able to find them on Amazon. They should cost around $10-$15
Calories : 684kcal
Saturated Fat: 22g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat : 0.1g
Trans Fat : 0.1g
Potassium : 341mg
Sugar : 74g
Vitamin A: 572IU
Vitamin C: 4mg
Iron: 1mgNutrition Disclosure