Ok guys, everything in moderation. Especially these sweet and salty over the top heart stopping cupcakes!
- 3 1/2 cups plain flour all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups full-cream milk whole
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- x12 American Bacon strips Aussies: you can get these from Woolworths
- 1 cup Chocolate sauce recipe: www.thescranline.com
- Crushed peanuts to sprinkle
- Mini Toasts
- X 10 slices white bread sandwich slice. This is completely optional
- 4 tbsp cinnamon sugar
- vegetable oil spray
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3-4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 batch fluffy buttercream frosting
- 4 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- To prepare bacon add bacon to a hot fry pan and grill until crispy and golden on both sides. Set aside on paper towels to let fat drain. Once they’ve cooled, cut into shards.
- To prepare caramelized bananas: slice bananas and add to a baking tray lined with baking paper. Sprinkle with brown sugar and bake on 160C (320F) for 25 min, mixing each 5 min to allow bananas to cook evenly. Set aside to cool.
- To prepare cinnamon toast, (and guys this is completely optional, see notes): Use a round cookie cutter (60mm) to cut out discs of bread. Place discs on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Spray with cooking oil and sprinkle a generous amount of cinnamon sugar. Set aside to add to your cupcakes later on before you bake them.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add milk, eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl, add caramelized banana and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons). Place a cinnamon toast disc on top of each cupcake and press it in slightly. Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- To prepare buttercream frosting, add peanuts butter to frosting and mix until well combined. Fit the end of a piping bag with an open star tip and frost in a swirl. Drizzle with chocolate sauce and sprinkle with crushed nuts. To finish off place a crown of crispy bacon shards on top.
Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container for up to one day. Cupcakes should be served within 24hrs otherwise the bacon goes chewy and loses it crispiness. MINI TOASTS: When I came up with this design, I thought having the toast aspect of the Elvis experience in the cupcake would be a great idea. However, the toast dries out quite a bit and almost turns into a large crouton. If you want to add them to the cupcake you might want to cut them up into cubes instead of discs and follow the same process :0)
Calories : 217kcal
Saturated Fat: 8g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat : 0.1g
Trans Fat : 0.1g
Potassium : 47mg
Sugar : 3g
Vitamin A: 169IU
Vitamin C: 0.1mg
Iron: 2mgNutrition Disclosure