These galaxy cupcakes are just so freaking amazing and simple to make. It’s like staring right into the galaxy, but you get to eat it!
- 1 batch American buttercream frosting or Swiss meringue buttercream frosting
- PURPLE: 2 drops deep pink food gel + 2 drops purple food gel
- BLUE: 2 drops sky blue food gel
- PINK: 2 drops deep pink food gel
- Sprinkles - I used anything glittery and shiny!
- non-toxic glitter stars white star sprinkles. Anything galaxy or space themed! Pop rocks would also work well.
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder (optional), baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl and mix on low speed to help everything combine. You may sift it if mixing by hand.
- Add the eggs, oil, buttermilk, vanilla and blue food dye into a large jug and whisk until well combined.
- Slowly add the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients while mixing on low speed. Once al the wet ingredients are in there stop the mixer, scrape down the bowl, and mix for a final 20 seconds.
- Scoop into cupcake pan lined with cupcake papers, filling up about ½ way and bake for 30 min. Cupcakes will look shiny and moist on top. If it bounces and doesn't sink when you touch it, it's done! Set them aside on a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Once cooled, core the centre of each cupcake and fill with star sprinkles
- Split your frosting into three mixing bowls. Colour each one using the colour combinations listed in the ingredients list. Mix using a spoon or spatula.
Frosting method shown in the video:
- To prepare your piping bag: snip the end off a plastic disposable piping bag or sip lock bag and fit with a Wilton 6B piping tip. Sit the bag in a cup to make filling with frosting easier. Add 1 tsp of each coloured frosting in the bag until bag is filled just above halfway.
NEW, easier method to frost your cupcakes
- Add each coloured frosting into three separate piping bags. Lay out a large piece of plastic wrap on your workbench. Pipe lines of each coloured frosting on the plastic wrap, alternating between each colour leaving a 1inch gap up the top and bottom of the plastic wrap. Roll the frosting up into a log and twist both ends. Snip off one of the ends and inert into a large piping bag fitted with a Wilton 6B piping tip.
- Frost each cupcake in a swirl until finish off with a sprinkle of edible glitter and star sprinkles
Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days. Please note: I have updated this recipe with some newer, easier frosting techniques.
Calories : 178kcal
Saturated Fat: 8g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat : 0.1g
Trans Fat : 0.1g
Potassium : 30mg
Sugar : 1g
Vitamin A: 169IU
Vitamin C: 0.1mg
Iron: 1mgNutrition Disclosure