Lamington Cupcakes! The OG Lamington cupcake! If you’ve never tried lamingtons, they’re these sponge cakes, covered in chocolate and coconut! Sooooo freaking delicious!
Raspberry flavoured vanilla cupcakes filled with raspberry jam, vanilla frosting covered in shredded coconut and a pink lamington cube on top.
- 3 1/2 cups (430 g) plain flour all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cups (265 g) caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp (3 tsp) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) fine salt
- 1/2 cup (125 g) unsalted butter softened
- 2 (2 large) large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ) full-cream milk whole
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup (250 ml) chocolate sauce
- 1 cup (200 g) desiccated shredded coconut
- 1 cup (200 g) raspberry jam
- 1 1/4 cups (600 g) thickened cream whipped / optional
- 1 batch (1 batch) fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting
Learn How To Make it! [VIDEO]
- Preheat your oven to 180C (356F) or 160C (320F) for a fan forced oven
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the dry ingredients. Turn mixer on low and allow it to mix for a couple minutes. Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next combine all milk, eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each paper 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons). Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a cooling rack before frosting.
- While your cupcakes are baking and cooling down, you can whip your cream to stiff peaks if you choose to use cream as frosting.
- Slice 5 of your least good-looking cupcakes into three discs as demonstrated in the video. Dip the tops into chocolate sauce (you’ll need to thin out the sauce in the microwave). Let the excess drip off. Coat in desiccate coconut.
- Core the centre of your cupcakes and fill with raspberry jam. Coat the tops in chocolate and coconut. Frost using a plain tip as demonstrated in the video. Squeeze some jam on top of the frosting and place the choc coconut cupcake disc on top.