Mango Meringue Cupcakes
Juicy Juicy Mangoes! These mango meringue cupcakes are the perfect treat for warmer weather!
Mango flavoured vanilla cupcakes with meringue frosting on top and crushed freeze-dried mangoes on top.
Mango Meringue Cupcakes
- 3 1/2 cups plain flour all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups full-cream milk whole
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup freeze dried mango
- 2 cup fresh of frozen mango cubed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1 batch of swiss meringue frosting
- Puree mango, sugar, lime juice and salt in processor, scraping down sides of work bowl occasionally. At this point you may run the puree through a sift to get rid of any solids. I chose not to do that. Little bits of mango never hurt anyone.
- Add to a medium saucepan along with eggs and whisk well.
- Turn heat on low / medium and continuously mix until mixture begins to boil. Then continue mixing until it thickens. When you can run your finger on the back of the spoon and the mixture doesn’t come back together, take it off the heat.
- Whisk in butter 1 piece at a time. Cover and refrigerate until cooled.
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add milk, eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons).
- Pipe some mango curd in a snail coil on top of the batter. Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- Core the centre of each cupcake and fill with mango curd.
- Fit the end of a piping bag with a 1M tip and frost in a swirl. Finish off with a sprinkle of crushed freeze-dried mango.
Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.
Calories : 268kcal
Saturated Fat: 13g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat : 0.1g
Trans Fat : 0.1g
Potassium : 30mg
Sugar : 4g
Vitamin A: 441IU
Vitamin C: 0.1mg
Iron: 1mgNutrition Disclosure