Neon Burst Donut Cupcakes
Here’s another example of a cupcake I didn’t design beforehand, had no idea where it was going and then ended up with something energetic, colourful and funky.
Neon Burst Donut Cupcakes
- 3 1/2 cups plain flour all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups full-cream milk whole
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 200 g white melting chocolate
- 100 ml thickened cream
- 3-4 drops of rose pink food gel colouring
- 2 cups rice crispies cereal rice bubbles
- 1 tbsp water
- A couple extra drops of food gel colouring
- 1 batch of my fluffy buttercream frosting
- 2 drops green food gel
- Preheat oven to 160C
- Start off by preparing your ganache to give it enough time to completely cool. Place your white chocolate and cream into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 20 seconds at a time, stirring each time until it’s completely smooth.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the dry ingredients. Turn mixer on low and allow it to mix for a couple minutes.
- Next combine all of the wet ingredients (except the butter) in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add softened butter into dry ingredients and mix until the batter appears grainy with a sand-like texture to it. Next, add wet ingredients in a slow and steady stream to the bowl until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds. Gently fold in your sprinkles.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake papers and fill each paper 3/4 of the way. Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare your rice crispy sprinkles simply add a teaspoon of water to a small bowl and a couple drops of food gel colouring of your choice and mix well. Then add your rice cripsies and coloured water into a zip lock bag. Zip the bag up, and shake well to coat with colour. Place on a baking tray and into your warm oven for about 10 min to let them dry.
- To frost: Tint your frosting a lime green colour using green and yellow food gel colour. Turn your piping bag inside out place a few random dabs of green and yellow food gel colour. Turn it back and fill with frosting just over half way. Frost as instructed in the video.
- Dip you’re the top of your donuts into the ganache and allow any excess to drip off before you carefully and firmly place it on top of your cupcakes. Sprinkle your coloured rice crispies on top! You’re done!
Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.
Calories : 177kcal
Saturated Fat: 8g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat : 0.1g
Trans Fat : 0.1g
Potassium : 30mg
Sugar : 1g
Vitamin A: 169IU
Vitamin C: 0.1mg
Iron: 1mgNutrition Disclosure