Neon Burst Donut Cupcakes
Neon Burst Donut CupcakesH! ere’s another example of a cupcake I didn’t design beforehand, had no idea where it was going and then ended up with something energetic, colourful and funky.
Neon Burst Donut Cupcakes
funfetti vanilla cupcake with brightly coloured vanilla frosting and a cake donut on top
- 3 1/2 cups (430 g) plain flour all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cups (265 g) caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp (3 tsp) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) fine salt
- 1/2 cup (125 g) unsalted butter softened
- 2 large (2 large) eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) full-cream milk whole
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 200 g (200 g) white melting chocolate
- 100 ml (100 ml) thickened cream
- 3-4 drops (3-4 drops) of rose pink food gel colouring
- 2 cups (54 g) rice crispies cereal rice bubbles
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) water
- A couple extra drops of food gel colouring
- 1 batch (1 batch) of my fluffy buttercream frosting
- 2 drops (2 drops) green food gel
Learn How To Make it! [VIDEO]
- Preheat oven to 160C
- Start off by preparing your ganache to give it enough time to completely cool. Place your white chocolate and cream into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 20 seconds at a time, stirring each time until it’s completely smooth.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the dry ingredients. Turn mixer on low and allow it to mix for a couple minutes.
- Next combine all of the wet ingredients (except the butter) in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add softened butter into dry ingredients and mix until the batter appears grainy with a sand-like texture to it. Next, add wet ingredients in a slow and steady stream to the bowl until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds. Gently fold in your sprinkles.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake papers and fill each paper 3/4 of the way. Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To prepare your rice crispy sprinkles simply add a teaspoon of water to a small bowl and a couple drops of food gel colouring of your choice and mix well. Then add your rice cripsies and coloured water into a zip lock bag. Zip the bag up, and shake well to coat with colour. Place on a baking tray and into your warm oven for about 10 min to let them dry.
- To frost: Tint your frosting a lime green colour using green and yellow food gel colour. Turn your piping bag inside out place a few random dabs of green and yellow food gel colour. Turn it back and fill with frosting just over half way. Frost as instructed in the video.
- Dip you’re the top of your donuts into the ganache and allow any excess to drip off before you carefully and firmly place it on top of your cupcakes. Sprinkle your coloured rice crispies on top! You’re done!
Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.
Calories : 177kcal
Saturated Fat: 8g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat : 0.1g
Trans Fat : 0.1g
Potassium : 30mg
Sugar : 1g
Vitamin A: 169IU
Vitamin C: 0.1mg
Iron: 1mgNutrition Disclosure
Gave this recipe a go?Mention @thescranline or tag #thescranline!