Smoked Salmon Quiche
This delicious Smoked Salmon Quiche begins with a crispy, buttery quiche crust, a light and delicate filling, topped with ribbons of smoked salmon and delicious cheese. This quiche is an indulgent treat that’s a perfect weekend breakfast, lunch, or dinner with a side salad.
Nick’s favorite thing…
I love so many things about this quiche. It’s a delicious option for breakfast lunch or dinner. Need to begin with that. It’s light, so it won’t make you feel gross. It’s so packed full of flavor. Fluffy egg mixture, smoked salmon, sweet dill and all the onion flavors. It’s just so good!
What does Smoked Salmon Quiche taste like?
The crust is buttery and flaky but light. The filling is delicate, fluffy and so tasty. I love the transfer of smokey flavors from the smoked salmon, the egg filling is creamy, and I love the flavor of the leek, onion, dill and garlic. It all comes together to make an ultra-indulgent tart.
What are the ingredients I need for Smoked Salmon Quiche?
This quiche is smoky and delicate. The filling is so full of flavor and the ingredients used are simple. For that reason, you need to use really good, quality ingredients. It makes all the difference when it comes to the end flavor result.
Homemade quiche crust – You can use my recipe for Quiche Crust. It’s flaky and buttery and so easy to make. But an alternative would be to use 2 sheets of frozen shortcrust pastry. Place two semi-thawed sheets of pastry on top of each other place on your workbench which has been dusted with flour. Roll out to about 12-inches in diameter.
Leek – you only want to use the white part. And I would recommend peeling away the outside layer as it can be dirty.
Brown onion – I use half a regular sized onion that I thinly sliced
Garlic cloves – I used two that I finely chopped.
Gruyere cheese – cheddar will work as well.
Dill – This helps give the quiche a sweetness.
Butter – I used unsalted butter.
Eggs – I used large eggs. With the eggs, you want to make sure you’re using free range eggs, and organic if possible. Farm fresh baby! It makes all the difference when it comes to flavor!
Heavy cream – This is the type of cream you use for whipping. I use cream instead of milk because of its rich flavor.
Salt and pepper – pinch of each.
Smoked salmon – Guys, I cannot stress this enough. Use good quality smoked salmon for this recipe. It will make all the difference when it comes to the overall flavor of the quiche and is the best way to infuse it with that Smokey flavour too.
Let’s go through each step.
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 160C / 320F. On medium heat, add the butter and allow to melt a little.
- Next, add the sliced leek,
- And minced garlic.
- Stir for 2 minutes until they soften. Don’t let them brown. Take off the heat and allow to cool.
- To a large mixing bowl or jug, add the eggs, cream, salt and pepper and 3/4 of the dill.
- Whisk until well combined.
- Add the cooled leek mixture to the tart shell and spread around.
- Then add the smoked salmon ribbons.
- Sprinkle with cheese,
- And pour on the egg mixture. Bake for 45 minutes,
- Or until golden and middle is still slightly jiggly. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
My Top Tips!
- Making your own crust is so worth the effort so I would highly recommend it. My recipe which you can grab here is buttery and flaky.
- If your filling leeks out as you pour it into your tart shell, it’s ok, just put it in the oven and bake it will plug itself up as it bakes.
- Use good quality ingredients for this recipe, it makes all the difference when it comes to the end result, flavor wise.
Want To Make Your Own Quiche Crust?
- Try my recipe! It’s so buttery and flaky and just perfect tbh.
Instagram @thescranline, Facebook and watch and subscribe to my videos on YouTube!
I hope you guys enjoyed this simple but delicious Smoked Salmon Quiche recipe with me. Giving the recipe a 5-star ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating really helps out a lot. Please also feel free to join me in the comments section below. And feel free to share with your family and friends on social media.
I’ll see you all on the following recipe!
Smoked Salmon Quiche
- 1 homemade quiche crust recipe (see notes)
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 1/2 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup gruyere cheese or cheddar, grated
- 3 tbsp dill, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 200 g smoked salmon (see notes)
Learn How To Make it! [VIDEO]
- For the crust, you can either use my Perfect Quiche Crust Recipe or you can use 2 sheets of shortcrust pastry.
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 160C / 320F.
- On medium heat, add the butter and allow to melt a little. Next, add the sliced leek, onion and minced garlic. Stir for 2 minutes until they soften. Don’t let them brown. Take off the heat and allow to cool.
- To a large mixing bowl or jug, add the eggs, cream, salt and pepper and 3/4 of the dill. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the cooled leek mixture to the tart shell and spread around. Then add the smoked salmon ribbons. Sprinkle with cheese and pour on the egg mixture. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden and middle is still slightly jiggly. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Thank you for recipe! Its a keeper
Thanks so much Mary! N x