Apple Pie Cupcakes
Apple Pie Cupcakes! Gorgeous apple pie in cupcake form! Crumbly shortcrust pastry, caramel sauce and home-made apple pie filling!
Apple Pie Cupcakes
Vanilla and cinnamon cupcakes with buttercream apple pie filling, caramel sauce and crushed shortcrust cookies
- 3 1/2 cups (430 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (265 g) caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp (3 tsp) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) fine salt
- 1/2 cup (125 g) unsalted butter softened
- 2 (2 ) large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) whole milk full-cream
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) ginger powder
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) all spice
- Salted Caramel Sauce
- 125 g (125 g) butter
- 80 g (80 g) caster sugar superfine
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 1 (1 ) egg yolk
- 1 cup (170 g) all-purpose flour sifted
- 6 granny (6 granny) smith apples green apples
- 1/2 cup (105 g) sugar
- 1/2 (125 ml) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) cinnamon
- 1 batch (1 batch) fluffy buttercream frosting
Learn How To Make it! [VIDEO]
- Peel and cut your apples into cubes. Place them into a large pot with all your ingredients and cook on medium heat for 10 min or until the apples become tender. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 160C
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the dry ingredients. Turn mixer on low and allow it to mix for a couple minutes.
- Next combine all of the wet ingredients (except the butter) in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add softened butter into dry ingredients and mix until the batter appears grainy with a sand-like texture to it. Next, add wet ingredients in a slow and steady stream to the bowl until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl, add your spice mix and mix on low speed for another 20 seconds.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake papers and fill each paper 3/4 of the way. Bake for 30 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (355°F). Place the butter and sugar in an electric mixer and beat until pale and creamy. Add the vanilla and egg yolk and beat well to combine. Add the flour and beat until a smooth dough forms. Transfer it to a large baking tray lined with baking paper and spread out evenly. Bake for 30 min or until golden brown. Set aside to cool down before using.
- To finish off your cupcakes use an apple corer or a sharp knife to make a hole in the centre of your cupcakes and fill with caramelised apple. Frost with brown sugar buttercream frosting (link below) using a French tip, in a donut swirl and place more caramelised apple in the centre. Finish off with the generous drizzle around the top of your frosting and place chunks of pie crust around the top to decorate.
Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.
Calories : 132kcal
Saturated Fat: 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat : 0.1g
Trans Fat : 0.1g
Potassium : 71mg
Sugar : 11g
Vitamin A: 199IU
Vitamin C: 3mg
Iron: 1mgNutrition Disclosure
Gave this recipe a go?Mention @thescranline or tag #thescranline!
Hi , I can’t find the brown sugar buttercream , been looking for a while now . Why can’t this be but with the recipt . Can you pls help me with the measurments for the buttercream
Hi Lisette! Sorry about that, it’s not up on the site yet. But it’s basically my American buttercream Frosting recipe with 3 tbsp of molasses added to it, which is what gives that brown sugar flavor.