Apple Pie Cupcakes
Gorgeous apple pie in cupcake form! Crumbly shortcrust pastry, caramel sauce and home-made apple pie filling!
Apple Pie Cupcakes
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk full-cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- Salted Caramel Sauce
- 125 g butter
- 80 g caster sugar superfine
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour sifted
- 6 granny smith apples green apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 batch fluffy buttercream frosting
- Peel and cut your apples into cubes. Place them into a large pot with all your ingredients and cook on medium heat for 10 min or until the apples become tender. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 160C
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the dry ingredients. Turn mixer on low and allow it to mix for a couple minutes.
- Next combine all of the wet ingredients (except the butter) in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add softened butter into dry ingredients and mix until the batter appears grainy with a sand-like texture to it. Next, add wet ingredients in a slow and steady stream to the bowl until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl, add your spice mix and mix on low speed for another 20 seconds.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake papers and fill each paper 3/4 of the way. Bake for 30 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (355°F). Place the butter and sugar in an electric mixer and beat until pale and creamy. Add the vanilla and egg yolk and beat well to combine. Add the flour and beat until a smooth dough forms. Transfer it to a large baking tray lined with baking paper and spread out evenly. Bake for 30 min or until golden brown. Set aside to cool down before using.
- To finish off your cupcakes use an apple corer or a sharp knife to make a hole in the centre of your cupcakes and fill with caramelised apple. Frost with brown sugar buttercream frosting (link below) using a French tip, in a donut swirl and place more caramelised apple in the centre. Finish off with the generous drizzle around the top of your frosting and place chunks of pie crust around the top to decorate.
Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.
Calories : 132kcal
Saturated Fat: 3g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat : 0.1g
Trans Fat : 0.1g
Potassium : 71mg
Sugar : 11g
Vitamin A: 199IU
Vitamin C: 3mg
Iron: 1mgNutrition Disclosure