Coconut Cream Cupcakes
Coconut Cream Cupcakes! One of my all-time flavours is coconut, and if it’s yours too then you’ll love these creamy coconut cupcakes!
Coconut Cream Cupcakes
Vanilla coconut cupcakes with coconut pastry cream filling, coconut frosting and toasted coconut on top.
- 3 1/2 cups (430 g) plain flour all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cups (265 g) caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp (3 tsp) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) fine salt
- 1/2 cup (125 g) unsalted butter softened
- 2 large (2 large ) eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) full-cream milk whole
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup (70 g) Toasted shredded coconut to decorate
- 1/2 cup (70 g) desiccated coconut
- 4 tbsp (4 tbsp) custard powder you may use corn starch in it’s place
- 4 tbsp (4 tbsp) sugar
- 2 cups (500 ml) coconut milk
- 3 tbsp (3 tbsp) thickened cream optional
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) unsalted butter optional
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 batch (1 batch ) of fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) coconut essence
Learn How To Make it! [VIDEO]
- Add the custard powder and sugar into a large microwave safe bowl and mix with a whisk to combine. Slowly stir in milk while whisking. Microwave for 1 min at a time, mixing each time until it thickens. If you feel it’s too thick add about ¼ cup of milk and mix it in. Run it through a sift and add vanilla. Mix in well, cover with plastic wrap directly on the custard and chill for an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 180C (356F) or 160C (320F) for a fan forced oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add coconut milk, eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons). Sprinkle with desiccated coconut. Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- While your cupcakes are baking, and cooling prepare the buttercream frosting by mixing together the frosting and coconut essence until well combined.
- Fit the end of a piping bag with a Wilton 6B star tip. Frost in a swirl. Finish with a sprinkle of toasted shredded coconut.
Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.
Calories : 5428kcal
Saturated Fat: 286g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat : 0.1g
Trans Fat : 0.1g
Potassium : 2256mg
Sugar : 54g
Vitamin A: 4214IU
Vitamin C: 5mg
Iron: 43mgNutrition Disclosure