Coconut Cream Cupcakes
One of my all-time flavours is coconut, and if it’s yours too then you’ll love these creamy coconut cupcakes!
Coconut Cream Cupcakes
- 3 1/2 cups plain flour all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups full-cream milk whole
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup Toasted shredded coconut to decorate
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 4 tbsp custard powder you may use corn starch in it’s place
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 3 tbsp thickened cream optional
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter optional
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 batch of fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting
- 1 tsp coconut essence
- Add the custard powder and sugar into a large microwave safe bowl and mix with a whisk to combine. Slowly stir in milk while whisking. Microwave for 1 min at a time, mixing each time until it thickens. If you feel it’s too thick add about ¼ cup of milk and mix it in. Run it through a sift and add vanilla. Mix in well, cover with plastic wrap directly on the custard and chill for an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 180C (356F) or 160C (320F) for a fan forced oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add coconut milk, eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons). Sprinkle with desiccated coconut. Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- While your cupcakes are baking, and cooling prepare the buttercream frosting by mixing together the frosting and coconut essence until well combined.
- Fit the end of a piping bag with a Wilton 6B star tip. Frost in a swirl. Finish with a sprinkle of toasted shredded coconut.
Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.
Calories : 5428kcal
Saturated Fat: 286g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat : 0.1g
Trans Fat : 0.1g
Potassium : 2256mg
Sugar : 54g
Vitamin A: 4214IU
Vitamin C: 5mg
Iron: 43mgNutrition Disclosure