Dancing Queen Cupcakes
Young and free only 17-teeeeeeeeeeeeeen. These strawberry flavoured dancing queen cupcakes are inspired by how this song makes me feel and what RuPauls Drag Race is all about. Dancing queeeeeeeeeeens!
Strawberry flavoured vanilla rainbow cupcakes with rainbow swirl buttercream frosting with glitter.
Dancing Queen Cupcakes
- 3 1/2 cups plain flour all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups full-cream milk whole
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 2 tsp strawberries and cream essence or any flavour of your choosing
- coloured sprinkles of your choice.
- Edible glitter
- To make the colours for the frosting and batter you’ll need the following food gel colours:
- RED – 2 drops red red food gel + 2 drops deep pink food gel
- PINK – 2 drops deep pink food gel
- ORANGE – 2 drops orange food gel + 1 drop yellow food gel
- YELLOW – 3 drops yellow food gel
- GREEN – 2 drops teal food gel + 1 drop yellow food gel optional
- BLUE – 1 drop sky blue food gel
- PURPLE – 2 drops deep purple food gel + 2 drops deep pink food gel
- 1 batch Swiss meringue buttercream frosting
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add milk, eggs, yogurt, oil, strawberries and cream essence and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Divide batter into 7 different bowls. Colour each one using the 7 different colour combinations listed in the ingredients list.
- Add each coloured batter into a piping bag or zip lock bag and pipe small blobs of each colour into the cupcake liners filling them up ¾ of the way.
- Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- To prepare frosting split into seven different bowls and use the colour combinations in the ingredients list to colour. Add to separate piping bags
- Lay out a large sheet of plastic wrap onto your workbench. Pipe rows of each coloured frosting next to each other as demonstrated in the video.
- Add to a piping bag fitted with a Wilton 8B piping tip.
- Core the centre of each cupcake and fill with your favourite sprinkles. Frost a swirl of frosting on top of each cupcake and finish off with a light dusting of edible glitter.