Diamond Heart Cupcakes
Ok, so I actually legit for realz created a cupcake for LADY freaking GAGA… here’s the story …
I create content for a company based in LA named Tastemade. They were approached by Gagas team a couple weeks before her super bowl performance in 2017. Tastemade emailed me and asked me to create a cupcake to help celebrate Gaga being at the super bowl and that it was going to be delivered to Gaga herself. I just about left a nick shaped hole in the wall because of how incredibly excited I was. I started jumping and crying as if I’d just won the Price Is Right.
So, I created this cupcake to help celebrate the launch of her new album. The colours are inspired by the hat she wore on the album cover and the name is inspired by one of the songs on her album. The sharp shards are inspired by the 80’s punk rock fashion from her previous albums.
Tastemade made the cupcakes for her, delivered them to her and put a little note in them from me. Here’s a screenshot of her tweet back to me.
It’s one of the proudest moments of my life. I got to create a cupcake for Lady Gaga! Someone who I have looked up to, felt inspired by, and who’s music makes me feel empowered.
Diamond Heart Cupcakes
- 3 1/2 cups plain flour all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups full-cream milk whole
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp coconut essence
- Wilton Gold Colour Mist
- 1 batch American buttercream frosting
- 2 tsp rose flavouring
Turkish Delight Centre
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp corn starch + 4 tbsp water
- 1 tsp rose flavouring
- 1 drop pink food gel
- 200 grams sweetened condensed milk
- 300 grams granulated sugar
- 150 grams water
- 350 grams white chocolate chips
- 20 grams gelatin + 1/2 cup water to bloom
- 1/2 drop mauve food gel
- 1 drop pink food gel
- 10 drops bright white food gel
- 1 tsp coconut flavouring
- 350 g pink candy melts
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add milk, eggs, yogurt, oil, coconut essence and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons).
- Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- To prepare the frosting add about 2 tbsp of frosting to the silicone moulds (6.5cm / in diameter 3.5cm in height) and use a teaspoon to spread it around the moulds. This helps prevent any air bubbles being around the outside of the mould and helps give them a nice smooth appearance.
- Fill with frosting, level them off with a spatula and freeze for at least 30 min. Can be frozen the day before, just cover the exposed bit with cling wrap.
- Carefully spray the top bit of the cupcakes with gold spray aiming to get an ombré effect around the top half of the cupcake liner.
- Core the centre of each cupcake and fill with Turkish delight centre.
- To assemble the frosting: unmould the frosting right before you’re ready to cover in mirror glaze. Pour the mirror glaze over the frosting (ensuring it’s the right temp) You may need to cover them 3-4 times.
- Let the glaze drip off and set for about 10-15 min. Use a knife to carefully cut the drips off going inward to let the excess drips stick to the bottom of the frosting mould.
- Using two table knives carefully transfer the mirror glaze frosting to the cupcake.
- Carefully stick the choc shards on the mirror glaze. If the shards keep slipping give it 30 min before you try again.
Turkish Delight Centre
- Add corn starch and water to a small bowl and mix well. Set aside
- Add water and sugar to a medium sized saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn down to medium heat and add corn flour mixture. Mix for 5 min until it thickens. Add pink food dye and mix until evenly coloured.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and chill until it’s set. Once it’s set, run it through a sift to return it to a gel consistency.
- Place pink candy melts in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 20 seconds at a time, mixing each time until it’s smooth.
- Pour chocolate onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Spread as thin as you can using a large offset spatula, taking care not to bend the baking paper.
- Allow to set at room temperature. Run a large knife under hot water to heat up and dry with a towel. Cut out shards make sure each shard looks thin in appearance and has four sides.
Pink Mirror Glaze
- Combine gelatin and water in a small mixing bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat milk, sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Add bloomed gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Place chocolate chips in a large heat proof bowl. Pour hot mixture over chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes. Once chocolate has softened, use an immersion blender to smoothen out the mixture. Add food gel colours and mix until well combined. Pour mixture through a sieve to remove any remaining lumps.
- Allow glaze to cool to 33C before using.
- To prepare frosting, add coconut flavouring to the frosting and mix until well combined.
- Add frosting to a piping bag. Snip the end off and pipe some frosting in some half sphere silicone molds. Use the back of a teaspoon to spread the frosting out nice and evenly in the molds. Fill up with more frosting. Use a large offset spatula to spread the frosting out evenly. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Carefully take the frozen frosting out of the molds.
- Add each one on top of a cup and place each cup into a baking tray to collect the excess mirror glaze. Pour mirror glaze over the top. Allow to set in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Core the centre of each cupcake and fill with Turkish delight gel.
- Use a small offset spatula to transfer mirror glaze frosting bulb to the top of each cupcake.
- Finish off by sticking pink shards to the mirror glaze, leaving some of the mirror glaze exposed.