Honey Joy Cupcakes
Honey Joy Cupcakes! On the San Francisco stop of my US book tour there was a little girl who asked me where I got the inspiration for these cupcakes. Because she’d made them and loved them so much. First of all, at her age I was busy watching The Simpsons. The fact that kids that young are baking and being creative in the kitchen is still amazing and inspirational to me. But this flavour is an Australian fete staple. It’s corn flakes mixed with butter and honey. They’re so yum, they remind me of a warm sunny day, so golden and happy!
Honey corn flake flavoured vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting and a sticky corn flake and honey crunch on top.
Honey Joy Cupcakes
- 3 1/2 cups (430 g) plain flour all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cups (265 g) caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp (3 tsp) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) fine salt
- 1/2 cup (125 g) unsalted butter softened
- 2 large (2 large) eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) full-cream whole milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup (150 ml) honey warm
- 3 cups (100 g) corn flakes
- 1 batch (1 batch) fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting
- 4 cups (130 g) corn flakes
- 3/4 cup (180 g) melted unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp (3 tbsp) honey
- 2/3 cup (150 g) caster sugar
Learn How To Make it! [VIDEO]
- Preheat an oven to 150C. Line two baking trays with baking paper. Set aside
- To make honey joy shards add butter, sugar and honey to a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 20-30 seconds or until butter is melted.
- Add corn flakes to a large mixing bowl along with butter mixture and mix until corn flakes are well coated.
- Transfer mixture to two baking trays lines with baking paper. Bake for 10-15 min or until golden brown. Allow to cool completely.
- Transfer one half of honey joys to a food processor and process to a dust.
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add milk, eggs, yogurt, oil, vanilla extract and honey in a large jug and whisk well. Add corn flakes and mix until well combined. Allow to soak for 5 min.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients all at once and mix until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons).
- Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- To prepare frosting add half the honey joy dust and mix until well combined.
- Fit the end of a piping bag with a large round tip and frost a bulb on top of each cupcake.
- Coat frosting in honey joy dust before finishing off cupcakes with shards of honey joys from the second tray.