Horchata Cupcakes! It’s a gorgeous rich mixture of flavours. Spices and creamy rice milk that you make from scratch! Give it a go!
Cupcake based off a Mexican plant-based beverage. IN this case a home-made rice infused milk with spices in the vanilla cupcake and frosting.
- 3 1/2 cups (430 g) plain flour all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cups (265 g) caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp (3 tsp) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) fine salt
- 1/2 cup (125 g) unsalted butter softened
- 2 large (2 large) eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) full-cream whole milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup (1 cup) short grain rice
- 1/2 cup (1/2 cup) chopped or slivered almonds
- 3 (3) cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup (250 ml) rvaporated milk 12 ounces
- 1 cup (250 ml) of water
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) cinnamon powder + extra to dust
- Almond meal/flour to dust
- 1 batch (1 batch ) fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) cinnamon powder
Learn How To Make it! [VIDEO]
- To make rice milk add rice to a food processor and process until you get a powder. Add rice powder to a bowl along with chopped/slivered almonds and cinnamon sticks. Allow to sit for 4 hours. Add to a food processor and process until you get a smooth mixture. Run through a sieve. Discard almond/rice mixture.
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add rice milk (about 125mls), evaporated, eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl, add cinnamon powder and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons).
- Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- To prepare frosting, add cinnamon powder to it and mix until well combined.
- Fit the end of a piping bag with a Wilton 1M tip and frost a swirl on each cupcake. Finish with a dusting of almond meal and cinnamon powder.