When life gives you lemon, make lemonade. Enjoy these lemon flavoured vanilla cupcakes with lemon flavoured frosting on top!
- 3 1/2 cups plain flour all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups full-cream milk whole
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 2 tsp yellow food gel. I know it’s a lot but these have to be really yellow!
- Zest of two lemons
- 1 batch of fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting
- 1 tsp lemon essence or zest of two lemons
- 2 tsp yellow food gel
Lemonade jelly ice cubes
- 3/4 cup 4 to 5 arge lemons juiced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 teaspoons powdered gelatin + 12 tbsp orange juice or water
- To make Lemonade jelly ice cubes
- Warm the lemon juice, 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) water, and the sugar to boiling. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Pour the water into a small mixing bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over its surface. Let the gelatin soften for 5 minutes.
- Add the gelatin paste to the lemonade and stir until fully dissolved.
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add milk, eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl add lemon zest and yellow food dye and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons). Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- While your cupcakes are baking, and cooling prepare your buttercream frosting by adding lemon essence or zest and yellow food dye. Mix until well combined.
- Fit the end of a piping bag with a Wilton 6B tip and frost your cupcakes in a donut swirl as demonstrated in the video.
- Top with lemonade jelly and a yellow striped straw if you’re feeling fancy!
Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.
Calories : 198kcal
Saturated Fat: 7g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g
Monounsaturated Fat : 0.1g
Trans Fat : 0.1g
Potassium : 23mg
Sugar : 8g
Vitamin A: 142IU
Vitamin C: 0.1mg
Iron: 1mgNutrition Disclosure