No-Bake Picnic Pie
No-Bake Picnic Pie! It’s not difficult to enjoy a slice or two of this dreamy caramel and chocolate pie. Topped with salted peanuts and packed with chopped picnic bars for an added crunch, it’s a no-bake must-have treat that everyone will enjoy!
Nick’s favorite thing…
I love love LOVE this pie. Mostly because I’m such a fan of the chocolate bar. Although as a 30-year-old (as of when I’m writing this) I don’t eat many chocolate bars. I’m not deprived of desserts and sweet treats. So I don’t crave them.
I love the biscuity crumb, the chewy caramel layer, and the peanuts! I love how the saltiness cuts through the sweetness of the pie.
What does it taste like?
It’s so good! Let me break down all the flavors!
Crust – I used butter snap cookies for the crust which have a kind of brown sugar and caramel flavor.
Filling – the caramel milky flavor is so delicious in this layer. It’s made up of dulce de leche and salted peanuts which are one of the key characteristics of a picnic bar.
Ganache – silky smooth and so chocolatey!
What are the ingredients I need?
Butter Snap cookies – The brand is Arnott’s. But any vanilla cookie will work. A good alternative is graham crackers or golden Oreos.
Unsalted butter – if using salted butter, simply leave out the salt in this recipe.
Brown sugar – I used regular brown sugar. Dark or light will work.
Glucose syrup – also known as corn syrup. Both will work.
Dulce de leche – you can make your own, if you have time or just use store bought like I did. And before anyone says, it’s not caramel, it’s a milk, high in sugar, and the sugar is caramelized. Ok?
Sweetened condensed milk – don’t skimp on the good quality brand! Home brand sweetened condensed milk can be grainy.
Salted peanuts – I used salted, roasted peanuts. You can find these in the nuts section at your local supermarket.
Picnic chocolate bars – These are made by Cadbury here in Australia. If you’re in a country that doesn’t have them, use any chocolate bar with caramel and peanuts.
Milk chocolate – I used cooking chocolate.
Vanilla extract – Always use good quality vanilla extract.
My Top Tips!
- To make your own dulce de leche, simply add a can of sweetened condensed milk into a pot of water. Cover the can with the water and then boil for 2 hours.
- Make sure you give this dessert time to set in the fridge.
- If it’s a warm day, this dessert will melt and go soft. So keep it chilled on hot days!
Other Recipes You Might Like!
- No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie – just as delicious as this pie but with peanut butter!
- Chocolate Pudding Pie – simple classic chocolate goodness!
- Classic vanilla slice – so creamy and silky smooth!
- Millionaire Shortbread – if you love chocolate and caramel, you’ll love these!
Make sure to follow me on social media!
I hope you guys enjoyed this simple but delicious No-Bake Picnic Pie recipe with me. Please comment in the comments section below, or feel free to share with your family and friends on social media.
I’ll see you all on the following recipe. Happy baking!
No-Bake Picnic Pie
- 21 butter snap cookies, crushed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp glucose syrup (or corn syrup)
- 1 cup dulce de leche
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- 4 picnic chocolate bars, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups milk chocolate
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add the biscuits into the bowl of a food processor and blitz until you reach fine crumbs. Add the melted butter and blitz to coat the crumbs. Once the crumbs are coated, empty them into a high walled tart tin with a removable bottom. The one I used was 9-inches wide. Use a spoon to press firmly against the side and bottom. Place in the fridge for 30minutes.
- Add the butter, brown sugar, dulce de leche, sweetened condensed milk and corn syrup into a medium sized saucepan and place on medium heat until all the ingredients are melted and well combined. Once the mixture begins to bubble, add 1/4 cup of the salted peanuts and mix to combine.
- Empty the caramel mixture into your chilled tart and use a spoon to even if out the top if needed. Sprinkle with 2chopped picnic bars and some peanuts. Place back in the fridge and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Add the cream into a microwave safe jug or bowl and microwave for 90 seconds to heat up until hot. Place the chocolate into a medium sized heatproof bowl and pour the cream on top. Cover with a plate and let it sit for 5 minutes. Take the plate off, add vanilla extract and use a spoon or whisk to stir until smooth. Optional: Allow to set at room temperature for 1 hour before pouring on the chilled caramel pie or just pour the warm ganache on top as is. Top with remaining picnic bars and salted peanuts. Chill for 30 minutes. Slice to serve!