S’mores Cookie Bars
These S’mores Cookie Bars are soft, chewy and oh so ooey gooey. They offer up the perfect bite of crispy crushed cookies, dark chocolate, and home-made marshmallow in every bite!
Here’s the thing. S’mores are a favorite summer treat. That classic combination of chocolate, cookie and marshmallow is honestly irresistible! The flavors the texture, everything about them are yum. But these are just neater and nicer to eat, and I’m all about simplifying my life. Can I just also add, these are a huge crowd pleaser, visually, they just demand attention and will have people asking for the recipe time and time again!
What are S’mores Cookie Bars?
Ok, so we have all the classic flavors of a s’more. But I also want to make some memorable mentions
- Texture – you get crispy graham crackers in ever bite of this bar which perfectly contrasts the chewy, soft and gooey marshmallow layer.
- Cookies and chocolate! Are absolutely the perfect flavor match which is 2/3 of the reason why s’mores are so yum! I use semi-sweet chocolate in this recipe to not make these a sugar overload.
- The marshmallow layer, especially if you’re using my home made marshmallow meringue recipe they bake a little crispy on the top which is so yum!
- Honorable mentions go to the orange zest and cinnamon which help deepen the complexity of flavors in these cookie bars and make them even more delicious.
Note: the whole recipe, including the ingredient quantities, can be found at the bottom of this page – just scroll down to the bottom, or click the ‘Jump to Recipe’ button at the top of this post.
Ingredients You Need To Make S’mores Cookie Bars
All the ingredients below come together to make the most delicious s’mores bars. But I have to single out the orange zest, which just elevates these bars.
I used unsalted butter for this recipe. If you use salted butter, leave the salt out of this recipe.
otherwise known as superfine sugar, this helps sweeten your cookies. Alternatively, you can use granulated sugar. I just like using caster sugar for baking.
The addition of brown sugar to the cookie layer helps deepen the delicious cookie flavor.
I used fine salt. If you’re using salted butter, leave the salt out.
You’ll use one large egg and then an egg yolk. The addition of egg yolk helps make the cookie layer even richer and slightly chewier.
Always use good quality vanilla extract when baking, it makes a huge difference. I have a great recipe here for it if you’d like to try your own!
This is one of my favorite ingredients in these cookie bars! If you’re not a fan, or don’t have an orange handy, you can leave it out.
Also known as plain flour.
This helps give the cookies a lighter texture.
This is an optional ingredient, but if you’re baking these during the fall, highly recommend adding ground cinnamon. It helps make these even more nostalgic.
If you’re in an area where graham crackers aren’t sold, you can basically use any type of vanilla cookie. You want to chop them, not crush them. I would recommend chopping them much finer than I did in the video otherwise you’ll need to use a spoon to chop them as you spread the batter around. Use the larger chunks for the top.
I used nestle dark cooking chocolate. Also known as semi-sweet. You want to make sure you use good quality chocolate for this recipe. Chocolate with at least 70% cocoa solids.
For this recipe, you can use marshmallow fluff or my home made marshmallow meringue frosting, It’s so yum! What you can’t use though is actual marshmallows. It doesn’t work for this recipe, it melts into the cookie layer.
How to make S’mores Cookie Bars!
Making these cookie bars is so simple! It’s all made in one bowl and comes together quite quickly.
- Add the butter, sugar, sat and brown sugar into a bowl and cream together
- Next, add the egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract and mix in.
- Add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and mix with a spatula.
- Then add the graham crackers and dark chocolate.
- Add half the cookie mixture to your 8×8-inch square baking tin and spread out evenly.
- Add the marshmallow layer (make half of my home marshmallow meringue frosting recipe or use store bought marshmallow fluff) and spread evenly
- Before adding dabs of the remaining cookie dough, graham cookies and dark chocolate.
- Bake, cool and slice.
Tips and Tricks For Recipe Success!
- Chill before slicing – make sure you chill your s’mores bars well before slicing to make sure
- Adding Orange zest is optional, but I highly recommend it as it makes these cookie bars even more delicious!
- You can use store bought marshmallow fluff or my home made version which is super easy. You can not use regular marshmallows for this recipe as it melts into the
Frequently Asked Questions about S’mores Cookie Bars
What does they taste like?
Chewy cookie layers sandwiched with marshmallow and semi-sweet chocolate! Soft, chewy and gooey!
How do I store them?
You can store these in an airtight container for up to 3 days. They can also be frozen for up to two months!
The best way to cut these bars?
Ok, so I would recommend letting these cool to room temperature after baking, then placing in the fridge for 2 hours or, ideally overnight. Use a large knife to
Can I use marshmallows instead of marshmallow fluff?
Nope! You need to use marshmallow fluff or my marshmallow meringue recipe. Store bought marshmallows will melt into the cookie layer of these cookie bars.
What if I don’t have graham cracker?
You can basically use any type of vanilla cookie in this recipe. If you’re in Australia I would recommend using digestives.
Can I use milk chocolate instead of semi-sweet
Yep! Totally, but I would highly suggest using semi-sweet because it gives you a nice contrast to the sweetness of the marshmallow and cookie layers. I use chopped chocolate in this recipe but you can use chocolate chips if you wish.
Gave this a go? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! Hungry for more? Join me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and TikTok for more great recipes!
If you loved this recipe, check these out!
S'mores Cookie Bars
S’mores Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup (125 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup (50 g) caster sugar, spoon and levelled
- 1/2 cup (100 g) brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 egg yolk room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 orange zested
- 1 cup (150 g) all-purpose flour, spoon and levelled
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups (150 g) graham crackers, finely chopped (see notes)
- 1 1/2 cup (300 g) dark chocolate, chopped (see notes)
- 1/2 batch Marshmallow Frosting (see notes)
Learn How To Make it! [VIDEO]
S’mores Cookie Bars
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 175C / 350F. Spray a 8 x 8 -nch (20 x 20cm) square cake tin with oil spray. Line the bottom and sides with baking paper.
- Add the butter, sugar, salt and brown sugar into a large mixing bowl. Use an electric hand mixer to cream together, about 2 minutes.
- Scrape down the bowl and add the egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract and orange zest and mix until well combined.
- Scrape down the bowl and add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and use a spatula to mix until a dough forms.
- Next, add 1 cup (100g) the chopped graham crackers and 1 cup (200g) chopped chocolate and mix in.
- Add half of the cookie batter to the bottom of the cake tin and spread evenly across the bottom. Then pour in the marshmallow fluff on top and spread out evenly. Finish by adding little pieces of the remaining dough around along with the remaining graham crackers and ark chocolate. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Once baked, allow to cool to room temperature. Then chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours to firm up before slicing into 9 squares using a large knife.