Affogato Cupcakes! I once went on a date (years and years ago) on a Friday night and ended the date at an Italian coffee shop with my first ever affogato. I drove home so awake and full of energy, that I kept on driving for an extra hour with the music full blast because I was too awake to go to sleep. That was my introduction to this Italian coffee and ice cream treat. Here’s the cupcake version of it!
- 3 1/2 cups (430 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (265 g) caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp (3 tsp) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) fine salt
- 1/2 cup (125 g) unsalted butter softened
- 2 large (2 large) eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) whole milk full-cream
- 1/2l cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) Greek yoghurt sour cream
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 1 batch (1 batch ) of my chocolate sauce
- Coffee beans
- 6 shots (6 shots) of coffee instant coffee powder mixed with hot water
- 1 batch (1 batch) fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting. Replace vanilla extract with vanilla bean paste
Learn How To Make it! [VIDEO]
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add milk, eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons). Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- Once the cupcakes have baked and cooled dip the tops in the coffee mixture. Give them a gentle tap on the bench to help the coffee soak into the cake.
- Core the centre of each cupcake and fill with chocolate sauce.
- To frost the cupcakes, you’ll need hot water, an ice cream scoop and paper towels.
- Dip the ice cream scoop into the hot water, dry it off well and collect frosting with the scoop. Gently press the scoop onto the top of the cupcake to help the frosting stick to the cake and then release with the scoop. Decorate with two coffee beans on top.