Birthday Cake Cupcakes
Birthday Cake Cupcakes! I’m not one to celebrate my birthday. In fact, when I turned 30 I locked myself up in my room and didn’t speak to anyone all day. I’ve come to terms since lol. These gorgeous vanilla and chocolate funfetti cupcakes are the perfect way for you to drown your feelings when you turn 30 too! lol
Birthday Cake Cupcakes
- 3 1/2 cups (430 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (265 g) caster sugar superfine
- 3 tsp (3 tsp) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (1/2 tsp) fine salt
- 1/2 cup (125 g) unsalted butter softened
- 2 large (2 large) eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) whole milk full-cream
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) vanilla extract vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup (250 ml) chocolate sauce more to drizzle on top
- 2 cups (2 cups) coloured sprinkles
- 1 batch (1 batch) of fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting
Learn How To Make it! [VIDEO]
- Preheat your oven to 180C (356F) or 160C (320F) for a fan forced oven. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add milk, eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds. Add 1 cup coloured sprinkles and gently fold in about 4 times. Any more than that and the colors will run through the batter causing it to turn grey.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 of the way (using an ice cream scoop to transfer the batter into the cupcake liners makes this a quick and easy process otherwise you can use two tablespoons). Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- Fit the end of your piping bag with a Wilton 1M piping tip and frost in a swirl motion as demonstrated. Finish off with a drizzle of chocolate sauce and a sprinkle of coloured sprinkles.